City of Redlands / Redlands, CA
Posted on: January 11, 2018
Under general supervision to perform professional level work in the field of current and/or advance planning; to provide information and assistance to developers and the public on planning related matters; and to provide highly technical and responsible support to the Community Development Director.
This is the limited experience level in the professional Planner class series. Positions at this level usually perform most of the duties required of the positions at the Associate Planner level, but are not expected to function at the same skill level and usually exercise less independent discretion and judgment in matters related to work procedures and methods. Assignments require the application of fundamental planning principles. Work is usually supervised while in progress and fits an established structure or pattern. Exceptions or changes in procedures are explained in detail as they arise. Positions in this class series are flexibly staffed and positions at the Assistant Planner level are normally filled by advancement from the Junior Planner level with one year of experience, successful performance, management recommendation, and budget availability. When filled from the outside, the employee is required to have prior related experience which allows the employee to meet the qualification standards for the Assistant Planner level.
Examples of Duties:
- Checks plans submitted by developers and the public;
- Reviews applications for completeness and accuracy;
- Oversees, participates in, and coordinates special planning, zoning, and environmental studies;
- Prepares reports and findings;
- Serves as staff to a variety of commissions, committees, and groups;
- Prepares the agenda and appropriate reports;
- Makes and presents findings and recommendations;
- Presents planning and zoning matters to the Planning Commission and citizen committees;
- Develops and presents recommendations on development permits, special use permits, variances, tentative tract maps, residential planned development permits, and other zoning applications;
- Prepares appropriate reports;
- Interprets planning and zoning regulations to the public at the counter, by telephone, and by letter;
- Updates zoning map and coordinate with the General Plan;
- Coordinates planning activities with other City departments and with outside agencies;
- Participates in the work of professional and technical employees including data collection, analysis, plan formulation, and implementation of a wide variety of planning, zoning, and environmental review activities.
- Maintains detailed socio-economic data and other relevant statistics;
- Performs inspections for projects for compliance with approved Plans, Planning/Historic Conditions of Approval, and other City requirements and/or ordinances;
- Assists the Environmental Review Committee;
- Prepares meeting agenda items and delivers presentations;
- Processes and maintains Environmental Impact Reports and negative declarations; and
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
- One year of professional municipal planning experience.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning or a related field.
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work in a standard office environment; ability to travel to different sites and locations;
- Regularly required to talk or hear. Required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Apply via the City’s website at www.cityofredlands.org, or via www.GovernmentJobs.com.
Any questions should be directed to the City of Redlands Human Resources Department only.