City of San Gabriel / San Gabriel, CA
Posted on: January 11, 2018
The Opportunity & Ideal Candidate:
The City of San Gabriel is seeking a Senior Planner to conduct highly responsible advanced planning projects, research, and special studies. The ideal candidate will function as an administrative hearing officer and senior staff to the Planning Commission and Design Review Commission; perform professional planning work; and perform management or administrative tasks as assigned. The Senior Planner will have a combination of supervisory and/or lead experience, urban design training, and the ability to function in a fast-paced, culturally diverse environment.
Under general direction of the Planning Manager, the Senior Planner performs advanced professional work by reviewing and processing complex comprehensive plan amendments, re-zonings, annexations, site plans, and subdivisions; serves as a project lead for junior staff; manages and participates in long-range and current planning programs, including the preparation, amendment, and implementation of the general plan and development codes; acts as the administrative hearing officer when required and responds to issues raised by internal and external customers; makes presentations to and advises the Planning and Design Review Commission; reviews proposed developments; and processes discretionary and administrative permits.
From a big picture perspective, the Senior Planner prepares and manages complex reports and studies; performs field inspections to gather data relevant to development review and/or to verify compliance of development projects with approved plans; coordinates projects and activities with community stakeholders, other city departments, outside agencies, and the general public; participates in regional and sub-regional organizations relating to planning, community development, transportation, and other issues; reviews consultant proposals, develops project budgets, administers bidding processes, and verifies contract expenditures and compliance; participates in the consideration and development of divisional operational policies and procedures; and performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The City of San Gabriel offers a generous benefits package, which includes:
- Participation in the CalPERS Retirement System: 2% @ 60 for “classic” CalPERS members and 2% @ 62 for new CalPERS members; participating San Gabriel employees will remain in their existing tier.
- City paid contribution toward medical, dental, and vision insurance premiums: City offers a choice of multiple medical plans (HMOs and PPOs, through CalPERS) and a choice of a PPO or HMO dental plan. Although you typically must insure yourself, coverage of dependents is optional.
- Other Benefits
- 9/80 Alternative Work Schedule – One day off every other week
- Choice of enrollment in Deferred Compensation (CalPERS 457 or ICMA)
- Optional enrollment in Supplemental Insurance Plans
- City-paid long term disability and life insurance (1x annual salary)
- City-paid Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Travel Assistance Program for employees and eligible family members
- Payment of retiree (and family) health insurance per established vesting schedule
- Compensation of $100 per month is available to employees who qualify and pass a proficiency examination in a second language such as Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, or Spanish.
- 96 hours of sick leave per calendar year, 80 hours of vacation per year, and 104 holiday hours per year, as well as 32 hours of administrative leave.
- Cash Outs:
- Sick Leave Buy Back Program: up to 50% of unused sick leave accrued in the 12-month period between November and October.
- Vacation Buy Back Program includes the option to cash out up to 40 hours of unused vacation per year.
- Holiday Buy Back Program: allows a maximum of 8 hours of unused holiday hours per year.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Although other combinations may be considered, a typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be a B.A. or B.S. degree in urban and regional planning from a four-year college accredited by the Planning Accreditation Board; four years of experience in professional urban and regional planning work; and possession of a valid certification from the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) within one year of appointment. Supervisory and/or lead experience is preferred. Possession of a California Class C Driver’s License and ability to maintain a satisfactory driving record are also required.
Candidates must complete a City of San Gabriel application, resume, and cover letter. All application materials must be submitted online by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, January 24, 2018. To apply, please visit jobs.sangabrielcity.com. Faxed, emailed, or hard copies of applications and/or resumes are not accepted.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute an expressed or implied contract. Any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice. Applicants with legal disabilities, who require special testing accommodations, must contact the City of San Gabriel Human Resources Department at least five (5) days prior to the examination date.