Junior Transportation Planner
NelsonNygaard Consulting Associates / Los Angeles
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
For 35 years, NelsonNygaard has led the transportation planning field with our values and innovation. We’ve always been guided by the principle of putting people first—designing transportation systems for people, not just cars. This principle also extends to how we operate as a firm. We were founded by two women who believed in the benefits of a more egalitarian workplace, where leadership and creativity can blossom at all levels and where diversity is a core strength. Today, we are 150 talented and dedicated people in thirteen offices across the country who continue to live by those values. What unites us at NelsonNygaard is the belief that transportation can change the world and our steadfast commitment to make the world more just, more sustainable, more connected, and more beautiful.
Research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all qualifications. We strongly encourage candidates from marginalized groups to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the job qualifications listed. We’re committed to maximizing the diversity of our team and want to hear from anyone who is passionate about our work.
- You’re resourceful, curious, communicative, and enthusiastic.
- You’re passionate about how transportation can make the world a better, more equitable place.
- You bring energy and a commitment to your teams and clients to do great work, together.
Our junior transportation planners focus on planning for municipalities, agencies, universities, and private clients. Depending on your skills and our project needs, responsibilities include research, data collection and analysis, mapping, visual communications, writing and editing technical and public-facing reports, developing presentations and outreach materials, and supporting limited business development tasks. You will work both independently and as part of a team.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Above all, we are looking for someone who:
- Has a passion for sustainable transportation planning
- Is an inquisitive self-starter and a natural problem solver
- Understands the connection between transportation and equity and is committed to incorporating equity, diversity, and inclusion into their work
- Is interested in working with our diverse clients and communities across the U.S. and Canada to create more equitable, livable, and sustainable mobility systems
Candidates must have one of the following prerequisites:
- A master’s degree in planning or an equivalent degree with a specialization in transportation planning and 0-2 years of relevant experience, OR
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field and 1-3 years of experience in transportation planning; other relevant degrees and concentrations include, but are not limited to, civil/traffic engineering, transportation operations, urban/city/regional planning, public health, urban design, geography, and landscape architecture
The ideal candidate will demonstrate skills in at least three of the following areas:
- Excellent skills in writing and storytelling, oral presentation, data analysis, and/or problem solving
- Experience incorporating equity, diversity, and inclusion into academic and/or professional work
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Experience with mapping platforms (GIS), graphics (Illustrator, InDesign, SketchUp), modeling (Synchro, TransCAD), and/or database analysis (R, Python)
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines and communicate effectively with project managers, colleagues, and project partners
- Proficiency in Spanish or other foreign languages
Strong candidates will have a passion for advancing equity through community-based efforts, including engagement with BIPOC communities, and will demonstrate an ability to work effectively with diverse communities.
To apply, please click on the ‘Apply Online’ link. Qualified and interested candidates must submit the following items:
- Cover letter
- Work samples that highlight your skills. Please do not exceed 6 MB.
At NelsonNygaard we believe that inclusion spurs creativity, and that innovation is born from an engaged culture of diverse people and ideas. By moving beyond barriers and stereotypes of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, medical condition, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, and veteran status, we are committed to building an organization that reflects the diversity of the communities and clients we serve. We strongly encourage applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC), immigrants, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and members of ethnic minorities.
The safety of all employees is a priority during COVID and we presently require everyone to be fully vaccinated to enter our studio. No waiver of requirement that the position advertised includes the capacity to be present in the studio is expressly or impliedly waived.