APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO / SAN FERNANDO, CALIFORNIA
Posted on: January 2, 2018
DEFINITION OF THE POSITION:
Under general direction of the Department Director, performs highly responsible professional level work involving a broad range of current and long range planning activities. This involves land development projects, preparation of general plan elements, zoning code administration and update, project design review, redevelopment planning, acquisition, disposition, development, and neighborhood preservation. Performs other related work as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF THE POSITION:
- Analyzes and interprets social, economic, population and land use data and trends.
- Prepares written and graphic reports on various planning matters and elements of the General Plan and City zoning code.
- Researches and drafts various Planning and Preservation Commission documents and City Council resolutions and ordinances.
- Provides technical assistance in the analysis, coordination and implementation of development requirements and regulations.
- Evaluates and administers requests for conditional use permit applications, variance, zoning amendments, subdivision plat maps, and other similar development proposals and ensures consistency with the General Plan, City zoning code, and other applicable State, County, and Federal regulations.
- Evaluates site plans, maintains the General Plan, and performs current and long term planning tasks.
- Develops, administers and maintains local housing plans and programs in the community as noted in the City’s General Plan Housing Element.
- Performs housing-related planning studies, and develops housing programs for future implementation.
- Provides administrative oversight to the City’s CDBG program.
- Evaluates land for housing development, and undertakes disposition and development.
- Checks commercial, industrial and residential development plans for issuance of zoning conformity; processes permits applications, and visits development sites as appropriate.
- Respectfully and professionally assist the public.
- Provides technical staff support to, and serves as staff liaison to the Planning and Preservation Commission, City Council and special committees.
- May supervise subordinate staff, and handle day-to-day administrative functions such as staff training and evaluation, as well as assist the Director in departmental budget development and administration.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Experience and Education guidelines:
A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this job would be any combination of the following experience and education:
Experience: Three (3) years of professional level experience in local general-purpose planning and/or redevelopment activities is required. A Master’s degree in a planning or related field may substitute for one (1) year of previous work experience.
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or Urban Studies is required.
Must possess a valid California Class C Driver’s License on appointment, and as a condition of continued employment.
Must stay current in field, and acquire all necessary training that new technological changes may present.
RECRUITMENT IS OPEN UNTIL THE POSITION IS FILLED. However, interested applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. A completed City Job Application is required. Resumes in lieu of applications, incomplete applications, will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed, and applicants who best meet the combination of requirements may be invited to participate in any combination of: a written examination, performance evaluation, or oral interviews. If you have a disability which may require an accommodation in any of the specified selection procedures, you should notify our Personnel Office upon submission of your application.
You can download an application, as well as detailed job brochure via the City website: http://www.san-fernando.ca.us/administration/personnel. Further inquiries may be addressed to Michael Okafor at email@example.com or call (818) 898-1239.