The Los Angeles Section of the American Planning Association provides a free job bank as a service to the Southern California planning community.
Submit a New Job Posting (subject to approval by APA Los Angeles web staff).
Administrative Intern – Planning
City of Santa Fe Springs / Santa Fe Springs
Posted on: February 14, 2020
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
The City of Santa Fe Springs seeks applicants for the position of Administrative Intern. This is an hourly, at-will, non-benefited position with approximately 20 hours per week. Internships are expected to last no more than four (4) years. Current vacancies are in the following departments:
Under immediate supervision, supports a city department and its staff in office duties, programs, activities, resources, and events; provides administrative assistance; researches, collects, and assembles information.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
- Supports the Mission of the City and its Elected and Appointed Officials.
- Exhibits loyalty to the City and its representatives.
- Provides courteous and timely service to the public as the ultimate employer.
- Works cooperatively with other City employees.
- Exhibits integrity and displays ethical behavior.
- Researches, collects, and assembles information on a variety of Department projects.
- Provides administrative assistance and support to department staff.
- May prepare public relations materials; uses various word processing, presentation, and spreadsheet software.
- Assists in planning and coordination of special events and programs.
- Interacts with the general public; provides assistance and information in assigned program area.
- Prepares illustrative materials for presentations; prepares presentations.
- Assists in coordinating meetings; may attend meetings.
- Researches and compiles a variety of information and data.
- Maintains a variety of records and files.
- Inputs a variety of data; may run reports.
- May meet with or handle community, individual, or group problems.
- May prepare invoices, check requests, expense reports.
- Performs related duties as required.
The following documentation MUST be uploaded and submitted with your online application. Please be sure to reduce file/document size to ensure proper upload.
Unofficial College Transcripts.
Relatives may be appointed regardless of the designation of full or part-time classification. Candidates with relatives employed by the City will be excluded from applying for a vacancy if one or more of the following criteria exist: 1) The appointment of a relative would place one in a supervisory capacity directly over the other 2) The appointment would create a situation in which it is conceivable personal gain for one could be obtained by the actions of the other 3) The appointment would create a situation where performance or non-performance of either would have a direct effect upon the performance of the other 4) The appointment would create a situation where the confidentiality of either could be compromised. Candidates with relatives employed by the City will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. “Relative” shall be defined as: mother, father, son, daughter, brother, sister, grandmother, grandfather, grandchild, spouse, domestic partner, step mother, step-father, step-sister, step-brother, stepchild and step grandchild.
- Work is primarily performed indoors.
- Noise level is quiet to moderate.
- Hazards are minimal.
- Sit for extended periods of time.
- Stand, walk, and bend.
- Push, pull, and reach overhead and above shoulders.
- See well enough to read documents and operate office equipment.
- Lift and move up to 25 pounds.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Ability to: Perform specialized, technical, professional and routine administrative tasks in assigned area. Plan and coordinate special events and projects. Collect and assemble data. Perform arithmetic calculations. Prepare presentations. Maintain records and files. Follow written and oral instructions. Work independently in the absence of supervision. Communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Work with accuracy and attention to detail. Operate and use modern office equipment. Effectively organize and prioritize assigned work. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other people.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Some experience and knowledge of local government operations preferred.
- A valid State of California driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.
- High School Diploma or an equivalent certificate or diploma recognized by the State of California.
- Recent graduate or current enrollment in an accredited college or university preferably with upper division standing and completion of course work in a field appropriate to assignment such as:
Applicants are required to complete and submit a City Application online. Resumes or faxed copies will not be accepted in lieu of the City online application. Apply here.
Selection may be based upon an application review, a performance examination and evaluation, and a structured interview. Appointment will be contingent upon a criminal record check and physical examination, including a drug screen.
If you require special testing and/or interview accommodation due to a physical, mental, or learning disability, please call the Human Resources Office at (562) 409-7530 at least 5 days prior to the scheduled date.