The Los Angeles Section of the American Planning Association provides a free job bank as a service to the Southern California planning community.
Submit a New Job Posting (subject to approval by APA Los Angeles web staff).
Assistant/Associate/ Senior Planner
City of Thousand Oaks / Thousand Oaks, CA
Posted on: February 19, 2020
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
The City of Thousand Oaks Community Development department has an excellent opportunity for an individual with a diverse background in city planning, including development planning and advance planning. The ideal candidate will be innovative, collaborative, possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and perform a variety of planning duties with competence and professionalism.
The City will fill the position at the Assistant, Associate, or Senior Planner level depending on candidate qualifications.
Primary responsibilities may include:
- Manage and process applications for advance planning, development projects, including residential, mixed-use, commercial, industrial, and institutional proposals
- Assist with General Plan update and downtown revitalization projects
- Consult and advise property owners, architects, engineers, contractors and public regarding City policies, standards, and procedures
- Prepare written communications including staff reports and analytical reports
- Present information to City Council, Planning Commission, and other groups
Required Experience / Skills / Education
The ideal candidate should possess:
- A minimum of 1 year of professional level planning experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning or a closely related field
- Development project experience
- A passion for City planning with demonstrated experience in process improvement
- Ability to research, analyze, interpret and present data
- Excellent time management, organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent problem solving, decision making, planning and organizational skills
- Ability to work very effectively and collaboratively with people internal and external customers and stakeholders
- A valid Class C California driver’s license
- Strategic Thinker
- Politically Astute
- Results Oriented
- Problem Solver and Decision Maker
- Planner and Organizer
- Team Builder
- Effective Communicator
- Technically Knowledgeable
Apply online at: https://www.calopps.org/thousand-oaks/job-19977108
First review of candidates: Thursday, March 5, 2020.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION – The City of Thousand Oaks makes reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities to participate in the selection process. If you wish to request an accommodation in order to participate in the selection process, you must inform the Human Resources Department in writing no later than the final filing date. Applicants requesting an accommodation should document the request including the type and extent of accommodations requested to participate in the selection process and/or perform the duties of the job for which applied.
Veteran’s Preference – In order to qualify for Veteran’s Preference a Form DD214, or other acceptable proof of service, must be submitted by the deadline date/time noted in the job announcement. Any veteran who has successfully completed all phases of a selection process for employment with the City shall be granted a final interview regardless of his or her ranking on the eligibility list, providing he/she meets the criteria for an eligible veteran.
The provisions of this bulletin do not constitute a contract, expressed or implied, and any provisions contained in this bulletin may be modified or revoked without notice.