The Los Angeles Section of the American Planning Association provides a free job bank as a service to the Southern California planning community.
Submit a New Job Posting (subject to approval by APA Los Angeles web staff).
Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI) / Los Angeles, CA
Posted on: February 25, 2020
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
KOUNKUEY DESIGN INITIATIVE is seeking a Planning Coordinator to add to our growing team of 18 staff in Los Angeles, CA. This is a great opportunity for a creative, highly motivated person with prior work experience to work directly with people in under-resourced communities to advance equity and support community-driven development. The position is based in our downtown Los Angeles office, and may involve travel to our projects in the Eastern Coachella Valley, other areas of California, and other cities across the U.S.
The Planning Coordinator will work closely with the Planning, Design, and Community Departments, local residents, government officials, and other stakeholders to support a wide range of projects and topics, including:
• Participatory design and temporary activation of public spaces, from vacant lots to large parks
• Economic and social development programs, such as two women’s food collectives we have helped organize in the Eastern Coachella Valley
• Gender equity in planning and design, which we currently are exploring through needs assessments, a World Bank publication, and a design studio
• Community-driven mobility planning
• Leadership development / capacity building for residents in under-resourced communities on improving the built environment
• Green schoolyards and climate change adaptation in low-income communities of color
Required Experience / Skills / Education
• Develop and manage all aspects of participatory design and planning projects: create work plans, conduct research, oversee budgets and track expenses, among others.
• Collaborate with a wide range of partners, including residents, community organizations, government officials, designers, nonprofit advocates, artists, and others.
• Design and lead community workshops and the production of necessary materials.
• Manage multiple complex projects and relationships simultaneously
• Support small-scale community build projects
• Lead and/or contribute to developing new projects and partners
• Manage grant reporting
• Master’s degree in Urban Planning or related field
• 3-6 years working experience in community development, economic development, or urban planning
• Proven track record of successfully managing complex projects, with increasing levels of responsibility
• Experience leading public meetings with diverse participants
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent writing and analytical abilities
• Strong commitment to social justice
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite
• Driver’s license required
Salary commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Send electronic copy of cover letter, resume, writing sample and three (3) references— portfolio optional but preferred— to: LAJobs@nullkounkuey.org
Subject heading: Planning Coordinator: Your Name