The Los Angeles Section of the American Planning Association provides a free job bank as a service to the Southern California planning community.
Submit a New Job Posting (subject to approval by APA Los Angeles web staff).
Design + Planning Summer Internship
City Fabrick / Long Beach
Posted on: February 26, 2020
Application Deadline: March 31st, 2020
City Fabrick is looking for upper-division or Graduate students working towards a degree in urban planning, architecture, graphic design, or landscape architecture who are interested in a full-time, paid summer internship.
As a City Fabrick intern, you will not be brewing coffee or making copies. Our design studio
operates as a fertile place for creative experimentation – we are constantly seeking to redefine the physical environment for people. Our ideal candidate is passionate and constantly seeking new inspiration, with an interest in cities and the influence that civic engagement, design, planning, and policy development have on improving our communities. We expect you to take an active part in the challenges we engage with our partners, clients, and stakeholders. You will leave this internship with tangible work to put in your portfolio through the opportunities to:
- Work on a range of projects, from the planning and design of affordable housing, to open/natural space access, environmental justice, transportation, and adaptive reuse/historic preservation
- Utilize and improve your current skills with the option to explore other design interests
- Collaborate with a variety of team members and disciplines in a creative, fun, challenging, and fast-paced environment
- Have the opportunity to make a positive impact in underserved communities
Required Experience / Skills / Education
- Flexible, collaborative, and resourceful with a strong design sensibility
- Ability to assist in all phases of a project from conceptual design through implementation
- Upper-Division or Graduate student in a design or planning program
- Proficiency in Adobe CC (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Strong verbal, visual, and written communication skills
- Knowledge of CAD, Sketchup, model-making techniques, and rendering programs a plus
- Fluency in Spanish, Khmer, Tagalog or other language a plus
- Comfortable with dogs at the office
If available for a three- to four-month period, please send your resume, work samples, and a one-page cover letter explaining how our mission speaks to you personally, how your skills and experience align with what we’re looking for, and how this internship would benefit you professionally to firstname.lastname@example.org.