APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
The Arroyo Group / Pasadena, CA
Posted on: August 29, 2020
Application Deadline: Open until filled
The Arroyo Group is seeking an Urban Designer/Architect to support its work in community planning projects and affordable housing feasibility studies/conceptual design.
We are a 45-year-old boutique planning and urban design firm based in Pasadena, CA that is committed to strong personal and company values, social equity, and high-quality, community-responsive design. Our major segments of work are long-range planning including Specific Plans, Downtown Plans and Transit-Oriented Development Plans; complete streets streetscape design; and conceptual affordable housing design for sites owned by religious congregations or other non-profits.
The selected individual will become an indispensable part of our small, multi-disciplinary team with significant growth potential. Our preferred candidate would be motivated by a desire to make a difference in the community, particularly for those of lesser means, and will have the heart, understanding and patience to work with religious congregations and local governments. He/she would possess emotional intelligence, wisdom and a strong work ethic in addition to possessing the technical skills necessary to carry out the work described below.
- Work collaboratively with religious congregations to develop conceptual plans for affordable housing development on congregational land
- Develop urban design plans interrelating different classes of vertical development, public spaces, streets, etc. at the project, district and city scale
- Prepare digital and/or hand-drawn illustrations of development concepts
- Write proposals, conduct project interviews and in general support the business development of the firm
- Provide input and feedback to the Managing Principal on business strategy, planning and practices
Required Experience / Skills / Education
- Master’s degree in Architecture with significant coursework in Urban Design highly preferred. Candidates with Master’s degrees in Urban Design or Planning may also be considered.
- 5+ years professional practice in architecture or related discipline highly preferred
- Licensure is not required
Position title, responsibilities, and compensation package can be adjusted to the preferred candidate. Candidates seeking part-time (20+ hours per week) as well as full-time employment are encouraged to apply. Interested parties should submit a personalized cover letter, resume, list of references and portfolio or work sample to Philip Burns, Managing Principal, at firstname.lastname@example.org.