APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
Office of Los Angeles City Councilwoman Monica Rodriguez / City of Los Angeles
Posted on: October 14, 2020
Application Deadline: Open until filled
OFFICE OF COUNCILWOMAN MONICA RODRIGUEZ
LOS ANGELES CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT 7
Los Angeles City Councilwoman Monica Rodriguez is seeking a highly motivated
individual interested in serving as planning deputy for the 7th District. The strongest
candidates will have: an interest in economic development, civic engagement,
environmental justice, transportation and urban planning; a familiarity with the City of
Los Angeles Planning Departments processes; excellent organizational, communication
and community-relations skills; the experience and sensitivity needed to work effectively
with multiple-stakeholder groups and an ability to work well as a member of a team in a
fast-paced, political environment. This position will report to the planning director. The
7th Council District includes the communities of Pacoima, Sylmar, Mission Hills, North
Hills, Lake View Terrace, Shadow Hills, La Tuna Canyon, Sunland and Tujunga.
POLICY AREAS TO COVER:
Transportation, Housing, Homelessness, Land Use, District Specific Economic
Director of Planning and Economic Development (Director)
● Responsible for planning casework for private and public development projects to
advise Councilmember, in consultation with City Departments and the Director
● Follow Council committees related to, and advise the Councilmember and staff
on, policy matters within policy areas listed above
● Lead initiatives on District transportation priorities
● Monitor City homelessness policy issues
● Develop and maintain positive working relationships with management and line
staff in departments dealing with transportation, land use, homelessness and
● Develop and maintain positive working relationships with community leaders and
groups related to community development
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Bachelor’s degree or higher in planning, public policy, public administration, or related
field and/or relevant work experience.
● Excellent written and verbal and communication skills.
● Self-directed and able to multitask in a fast-paced environment
● Ability to analyze large volumes of information, manage and prioritize multiple
● Have experience and/or interest in housing policy, affordable housing
development, environmental and equestrian issues
● Strong computer skills
● Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed
SALARY: Salary commensurate to experience with benefits package.
* This position is an exempt, at-will position. The incumbent will not accrue any
civil service tenure or contractual employment rights in such a position. The
planning deputy is appointed by, and serves at the pleasure of the Council Office,
and may be removed without cause.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Christine Jerian by email at Christine.email@example.com with “PLANNING DEPUTY” in the subject line.