APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meridian Consultants / Los Angeles, CA
Posted on: October 15, 2020
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Job Description – Planner
A Planner at Meridian Consultants works on a variety of projects and completes research under the guidance of project managers and senior staff. Work includes preparation of a wide range CEQA and/or NEPA documents and sections, and other environmental and planning documents.
A Planner plans, prepares, and monitors environmental research and evaluates potential impact of assigned projects. Ensures environmental projects are in compliance with the state and federal regulations. A Planner estimates impacts and develops mitigation involving air, biological, cultural, land, noise/vibration, utilities, population/housing, water and wastewater and environmental resource areas. to devise mitigating measures.
Works on projects/matters of limited complexity in a support role under the supervision of a Project Manager or Senior Project Manager. May serve as assist Project Manager in some instances.
This position is a Non-exempt position.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Demonstrates familiarity with a variety of the concepts, practices, and procedures related to planning and environmental analysis. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Exercise of a wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Participates in multidisciplinary teams of professionals across a wide range of disciplines, including but not limited to architectural, engineering, air quality, biological resources, cultural resources, geology, land use, noise, traffic/transportation, recreation, and water resources.
- Possesses effective problem-solving ability, demonstrates ability to be innovative, excellent writing skills, and the ability to work with a team and project managers.
- Plans, prepares, and monitors environmental research within schedule and budget and evaluates the potential impacts of assigned projects.
- Maintains a working knowledge of CEQA and NEPA and regulatory requirements with respect to applicable local, state, and federal laws. Ensures environmental projects follow appropriate state and federal regulations.
- Exercises independent judgment while regularly advising senior management as needed.
- Assists with project management including the preparation of proposals and development and monitoring of schedules, budgets, and invoices.
- Assists with organization and coordination of work with internal and external parties for projects including but not limited to document review, QA/QC, document production, sub consultants, etc.
- Serves as a resource to other Meridian Consultants staff and project teams by identifying and providing recommendations to improve technical approaches to project activities and work scope, as well as assisting with the training and/or coaching of Staff Planners.
- In-house presentation of environmental topics.
- Represents Meridian Consultants at meetings, business activities, and other industry functions.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
- Understanding of the environmental and planning industry, and basic CEQA/NEPA understanding preferred. Understanding of other federal, state, County and local laws and ordinances pertaining to the environment.
- Understanding of land use/environmental principles in the areas of transportation, capital facilities, environmental analysis, growth management, zoning and land use regulation.
- Knowledge of archeology, biology, geography, ecology, air quality and noise, water quality and resources, land use planning, transportation, energy, environmental management, and agriculture.
- Understanding of the legal basis for planning, zoning, and land development activities.
- Basic understanding of other regulatory agency requirements, such as those for USFWS, CDFW, CARB, SCAQMD (or other air districts), USACE, SWRCB, and others as appropriate.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and presentation techniques.
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. and Office 365.
- Understanding and development practices and construction permit processes.
- Understanding of GIS and mapping techniques and graphic design.
- Compile, organize, analyze and interpret data. Assemble, analyze, and evaluate sociological, economic, demographic, environmental and land use data.
- Read, understand, and interpret maps including land use, topographic, population distribution, and physical and natural features.
- Summarize technical information relevant to environmental issues.
- Identify and evaluate environmental resources.
- Analyze maps in a three-dimensional context and visualize the impact of construction on a site.
- Ability to read and interpret rules, regulations, policies and ordinances.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in environmental studies, environmental management, urban planning, or a related discipline required. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of industry work experience.
- Direct experience completing a variety of environmental documentation projects related to urban development and infrastructure projects throughout California.
- Understanding of project management principles.
- Advanced understanding and comprehension of CEQA and NEPA.
- Understanding of other regulatory agency requirements, such as those for the USFWS, CDFW, CARB, SCAQMD (or other air districts), USACE, SWRCB, and others as appropriate.
Please send a cover letter with your resume, and any writing samples to Lisa Maturkanic, Senior Administrative Operations Manager, at email@example.com.
We are hiring for either our Los Angeles or Ventura County offices. Local candidates only, please.