APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
Impact Sciences / California, USA (Remote Working Optional)
Posted on: April 19, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Impact Sciences, a women-owned small business, is an environmental planning and consulting firm headquartered in Los Angeles with offices in San Jose and Oakland. Our primary service areas are California Environmental Quality Act and National Environmental Policy Act (CEQA/NEPA) compliance. Impact Sciences is a growing company seeking professionals to further our vision and mission. We actively promote diversity and inclusivity within our workplace and through our actions. Interest/experience in sustainability, environmental and social justice is preferred but not required.
Impact Sciences is specifically seeking a Project Manager (levels I or II) with a minimum of 5-7 years of experience preparing and managing CEQA/NEPA projects for public- and private-sector clients. The Project Manager will be responsible for oversight of CEQA/NEPA projects; supervision and mentoring of junior staff; leading the preparation and review process of proposals, cost estimates, and reports. An ideal candidate must possess effective problem-solving ability and exceptional writing and editing capabilities, and some experience working with public and private-sector clients in a private consulting firm. Strong knowledge of and experience with CEQA and NEPA compliance is a must. The ideal candidate will also have a robust network of contacts within the industry and an interest in building and expanding on existing relationships.
The most important functions of this position include:
- Managing time (your own and that of junior staff members), budgets, and project schedules
- Developing and nurturing strong client relationships
- Ability to critically review CEQA/NEPA documents and support the preparation of technical reports
- Assist with group administration
- Manage teams with subcontractors
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Capabilities and Credentials
- High level of comfort with shifting deadlines, client demands, working on multiple projects simultaneously, working within budgets, and contributing to the development of a cohesive document.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be able to shift rapidly from project to project (adaptability).
- Problem solving skills are a must, including the ability to discern which issues need to be elevated to the Managing Principal and which can be resolved without assistance.
- Attention to detail as demonstrated by the ability to review document sections and reports is also critical.
- Experience preparing complex CEQA/NEPA documents with senior-level oversight
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in the CEQA/NEPA field (or a related field).
- An ability to manage several projects simultaneously is essential.
- Prepare CEQA, NEPA, and other environmental compliance documents for a wide range of public- and private-sector clients.
First 2 Weeks:
- Review master schedule of existing projects.
- Familiarize self with format of documents as well as current markets.
- Shadow senior staff to familiarize self with project staff, schedules, and upcoming deliverables.
- Demonstrate ability to navigate internal project management tool (Deltek Vision and/or Vantagepoint) and revise project invoices to understand budgets.
- Maintain and demonstrate an understanding of emerging regulations and industry requirements.
- Provide technical expertise during preparation and review of technical analyses and documents, proposals, and/or qualifications information.
- Contact existing clients (via email/phone) to understand projects.
- Attended an internal kickoff or debrief meeting to understand common project challenges.
- Has prepared a schedule and budget and reviewed contract deliverables.
- Manage project(s) with a small team and senior oversight.
- Manage client relationships and works with planners and technical staff on analytical approach.
- Building new client relationships and targeting team revenue goal
- Manage progressively more complex projects.
- Lead one internal CEQA workshop or prepare one thought leadership piece/presentation, etc.
Qualified candidates should have at least a BA/BS in a related discipline, a minimum of 7 years of experience; or master’s degree and a minimum of 5 years of experience.
Impact Sciences offers competitive salaries and generous benefits, including health and dental insurance, retirement and financial, wellness and other work/life plans. Impact Sciences is also committed to diversity, wellness, and work-life balance.
Our Core Values:
- We do what we say we’re going to do.
- We work together collaboratively.
- We talk out problems.
- We respect each other.
- We are curious about ideas.
- We provide tools to succeed.
Does this sound like you? Reach out and send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.