APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Urban Planner / Designer
Stantec / Los Angeles, CA
Posted on: July 15, 2021
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
Urban Planner / Designer – Los Angeles
Join Stantec’s Urban Places to help us create the most livable, prosperous, sustainable, resilient, and equitable urban and urbanizing places in North America. The Urban Places Group is growing, and we are looking for an urban designer to be based in our Los Angeles office to support planning and urban design projects in the US and Canada. (www.stantec.com/urban-places )
Stantec’s Urban Places is an interdisciplinary practice within a global consulting firm, offering opportunities to be involved in a variety of urban projects and collaborate with Stantec’s leading experts in disciplines like smart and urban mobility, real estate advisory, resilience and sustainability, and smart cities among others. Our plans create places, networks, and infrastructure that connect people to places, to prosperity, and to each other. The urban planners and designers within Urban Places lead transformational planning and design projects in urban and urbanizing places across North America. Our team has won dozens of awards for work ranging from downtown and district plans to community-wide and regional plans. We work closely with our colleagues across Stantec to provide plans that are both visionary and feasible, driven by data and grounded in market realities.
We are looking for motivated self-starters to support our growing practice. The Urban Planner/Designer will work on a variety of exciting projects that could include master plans, station area plans, Specific Plans, transit-oriented development projects, EIRs, feasibility analyses, campus, streetscape, and pedestrian plans, and design guidelines, among others. Candidates with a combination of strong writing and graphics skills, research and analytical capabilities, and experience with urban design projects are strongly encouraged to apply. The Urban Planner/Designer must be able to work independently and with a team of multi-disciplinary professionals.
Your Key Responsibilities
• Conduct research and analysis in support of projects, which could include GIS mapping, statistical analysis, and research.
• Assist with the preparation of memos, policies, infographics, design guidelines, and plans.
• Participate in public outreach meetings and events.
• Generate high-quality plans and perspectives, both digital and hand rendered.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Qualifications – External
Your Capabilities and Credentials
• Excellent plan-writing skills with demonstrated proficiency through completed plans, reports, and/or research.
• Proficiency with GIS, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, and SketchUP, or other 3D rendering programs such as Rhino.
• Strong graphics and design skills. The ability to hand-render perspectives, sketches, and site plans is a plus.
• The ability to work constructively in a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary environment.
• Ability to think creatively and anticipate solutions to solving the complex problems that our work presents us.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Must have a good driving record and valid driver’s license.
Education and Experience
• A bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning or Urban Studies is required. Candidates with second degree in one of the design disciplines (urban design, landscape architecture or architecture) are encouraged to apply.
• One to two years of professional experience (could include internships).
Office environment with prolonged sitting and computer work, or combination of office and field. May occasionally visit study areas, construction sites and/or be exposed to outside elements and inclement weather conditions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Please use the link below to apply: