APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
Entry-level Landscape/Urban Designer
PlaceWorks / Los Angeles, Santa Ana, or Berkeley office locations
Posted on: October 11, 2021
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
PlaceWorks is searching for a full-time, entry-level designer to join our Design team. The candidate selected for this position could be based in our Santa Ana, Los Angeles, or Berkeley office locations. We are looking for an individual with 0-3 years of professional or internship experience related to landscape architecture/open space planning and design and/or urban design, who is creative, self-starting, and passionate about helping shape and improve communities through their work. We work in a wide array of communities throughout California, and we encourage diverse candidates from non-traditional backgrounds to apply.
Working in a collaborative and casual work environment under the guidance of skilled project managers and other senior staff, this position will assist project teams by applying design and planning knowledge and technical skills to contribute to the successful completion of projects at a variety of scales, often working concurrently on more than one project. The project work of our landscape architecture and urban design practice encompasses the full range of the practice from park and open space master planning and design guidelines to conceptual designs and construction documentation, as well as community engagement. We have a portfolio of built work, including parks, playgrounds, trails, habitat restoration, streetscapes, and plazas. We frequently conduct community engagement as part of our planning and design work, and are committed to promoting diversity and equity in access to parks, open space and public spaces.
You’re most likely a fit if:
- You are excited about planning for the future of communities as well as the natural environment, and making a difference with your work.
- You’re a self-starter who can work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment, including a virtual, work from home environment when needed.
- You have strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- You possess both hand drawing and computer graphics skills.
- You are excited to cultivate working relationships with clients, community-based organizations, and other firms.
- You have experience with and enjoy using your technical skills to create graphic materials for plan documents, proposals, maps, and presentations; to contribute to the preliminary site design process; and/or to produce construction documents.
- You enjoy analyzing and compiling research and data as required by a project.
- You can manage your time to produce final project documents and products by stated deadlines. You can work effectively on multiple projects at once.
- You have strong problem-solving skills and can troubleshoot and solve issues that may arise on specific tasks.
- You have strong writing, formatting, and proofreading skills and are detail-oriented.
- Supporting authentic engagement with diverse communities excites you, and you’re willing to jump in to help with outreach efforts. You may be asked to coordinate events or meetings, prepare and assemble materials/supplies, and talk to community members virtually and/or in person. Spanish or other language skills are a plus.
- You’re able to travel to and attend client meetings and community workshops, and to perform site visits in a variety of locations, sometimes occurring on weekday nights and weekends.
- You’re interested in assisting with marketing, business development, and proposal efforts for planning and outreach work.
- You are experienced using Adobe Creative Suite, Rhino or SketchUp, or with AutoCAD for design projects. Familiarity with ArcGIS is helpful, but not required.
- You are proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- You have a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in landscape architecture or urban design, or closely related field.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
See the above job summary.
To apply, please visit: http://placeworks.com/join-our-team/job-98/.