APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
Associate Planner (Planner III)
Ventura County Resource Management Agency/Planning Division / Ventura and may require to travel throughout Ventura County, CA
Posted on: October 14, 2021
Application Deadline: Continuous
Under direction, the Planner III performs progressively complex professional planning work involving data collection and analysis, report preparation and public contacts; assist in zoning and/or planning programs; and performs related duties as required.
The County of Ventura Planning Division provides land use services to the public in the areas of residential, commercial and industrial permitting, engages in long range community planning and zoning enforcement, and coordinates a variety of regional programs in the unincorporated areas of Ventura County. There are open positions in both current and advanced planning in the Planning Division.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
The ideal candidate will be a planning professional who is highly organized with excellent writing and time management skills, and a demonstrated track record of strong customer service, oral presentation and research/analysis skills. The ideal candidate will also be a committed, confident, and motivated individual with five or more years of progressively complex work experience in land-use planning that includes experience preparing written staff reports and recommendations and applying the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). Also seeking a candidate who has the ability to be responsible for managing moderately complex projects and/or playing a major role on highly-complex projects as a team member.
Example of Duties:
- Process discretionary entitlement applications, General Plan, Area Plan or Zoning Ordinance amendments (text, maps) through stages that include problem definition, research (field investigations, data analysis, etc.), policy analysis, preparation of alternative solutions, and formulation of policy recommendations.
- Work in a collaborative fashion with internal and external stakeholder groups – including City/County representatives, special interest groups, community groups, landowners, and staff within the Planning Division. As part of that process, organize and facilitate small and large group meetings.
- Prepare work products that exhibit an understanding of physical design and planning.
- Prepare CEQA environmental documents.
- Prepares written and graphic planning staff reports and policy recommendations to decision making bodies.
- Makes oral presentations to, and responds to questions from, governmental bodies and decision makers that explain and clarify planning reports and recommendations.
- Manages assigned tasks or projects through the preparation and implementation of work plans and timelines.
- Stays current with Federal/State laws and professional trends that impact planning practices.
- Helps maintain section files, documents and related permitting databases for the Planning Division.
- Analyzes and evaluates data using associated computer applications.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor’s degree in urban planning or a related field; a Master’s degree in Urban Planning or a related field is preferred.
$71,887- $101,018 Annually
The County of Ventura Planning Division offers a professional work environment with excellent benefits and flexible schedules, including the option of working a 9/80 schedule with every other Friday off.
Applications AND supplemental questionnaire must be received by the County of Ventura, Human Resources Division. Continuous and may close at any time; therefore, apply as soon as possible if you are interested in the position. Your application must be received by the County of Ventura Human Resources in Ventura, California, no later than 5:00 p.m. on the closing date at www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ventura.
Kim Mariscal (firstname.lastname@example.org)