APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
CSG Consultants, Inc. / Orange, CA
Posted on: January 7, 2022
Application Deadline: Open until filled
CSG Consultants is an established and thriving, employee-owned municipal services consulting firm headquartered in Foster City, California and with offices throughout California. For over 28 years, CSG has been providing public agencies with a wide range of services, including engineering design, land development review, construction management, building plan review and inspection, fire prevention, code enforcement, planning, and sustainability program management services. Please visit www.csgengr.com for more information about our company.
CSG is seeking for a Assistant Planner. This is a FULL-TIME position. To apply for this position, please check the link below:
CSG’s comprehensive benefits package includes 401(k) plus company match, 12 paid holidays, 3 weeks of paid time off (PTO), medical, dental, vision, FSA, EAP, Life/AD&D, LTD, voluntary life insurance and casual work environment.
The Assistant Planner is an entry level classification in the professional Planner series. Responsibilities include basic professional level planning services in the areas of current planning and long-range planning while demonstrating good diplomatic skills in dealing with the public and staff. The Assistant Planner works under the direction of senior planning staff and performs entry level professional planning duties and assignments.
- Assists the senior staff in the administration of subdivision and land use regulations.
- Advises applicants and property owners in filing applications for land use review, including mapping and compiling data, General Plan, zoning, subdivision, variances, use permits, environmental review, and design review.
- Reviews planning project and permit applications and plans for completeness and for compliance with applicable codes, and consistency with development and design standards.
- Processes applications and non-structural plans necessary for issuance of a variety of permits.
- Files, routes, and tracks applications and permit documents to City departments and staff, and coordinates with other regulatory agencies and individuals concerned with proposed developments.
- Conducts site inspections and field investigations.
- Provides support to the Permit Center, coordinates with property owners, project developers, public officials, and consultants in review of plans for development.
- Assists in the review for compliance with the state or local Model Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance (MWELO).
- Acts as Project Manager for more routine Planning applications.
- Conducts architectural review, and develops special studies as needed.
- Maintains planning data using various computer software programs.
- Prepares graphics, public notices and distribution lists for public hearings and/or meetings.
- Respond to basic inquiries from the general public and resolve issues related to the City’s planning and zoning procedures and specific permits at the public counter or via phone or email.
- Research and provide information to City staff and the general public regarding land use issues and standard environmental documentation.
- Develops special studies and general reports.
- May represent the municipality at Planning advisory committees, other committees and agencies.
- Prepare a variety of reports and draft ordinances for City staff, the City Council, Zoning Administrator and the Planning Commission.
- Prepare correspondence other similar documents to fulfill policy and legal requirements and.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- At least 6 months of professional urban planning experience or an internship with a municipality or other local government agency supplemented by a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, architecture, or a related field.
- Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities.
- Research and data collection methods.
- Principles and practices of planning and zoning administration.
- Environmental protection regulations such as California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), National Environmental Policy Action (NEPA), Clean Water Act, National Historic Preservation Act, Endangered Species Act, etc.
- State and local laws pertaining to land use such as Williamson Act, Historic Preservation Programs, etc.
- Principles of effective customer service.
- Effective report writing and presentation techniques.
- Statistics and math applicable to planning and property development.
- Common computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, database management, internet, video conferencing, and geographic information systems.
- Learn the principles, concepts and techniques related to planning and zoning administration.
- Learn to review project descriptions, plans or field conditions and apply policy and code provisions to determine conformance.
- Interpret the General Plan, zoning ordinance, Subdivision code and other policy documents.
- Collect and analyze data.
- Prepare clear and concise reports.
- Communicate rules and procedures tactfully and effectively.
- Work on several projects or issues simultaneously.
- Build relationships and work respectfully, tactfully and creatively with the public, agencies and staff.
- Speak and write effectively.
- Work independently or in a team environment.
- General office environment.
- On as needed basis working from home or at a client office location is required.
- Regularly requires working in sitting position with computer for extended periods.
- Ability to travel to client jobsites.
Required Experience / Skills / Education