APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
City of Baldwin Park / 14403 Pacific Ave. Baldwin Park CA. 91706
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Under the direction from the Director of Community Director, the City Planner will plan, supervise, and manage the activities of the Planning Division of the Community Development Department. The ideal candidate will exercise independent judgment to assist with planning, zoning and land use activities for the City; negotiation related to land use and development; and facilitate the process of making the City of Baldwin Park a more sustainable City.
The City of Baldwin Park is looking for a team player and someone who is passionate and enthusiastic about public service and able to support and embrace a vision for community enhancement within the City of Baldwin Park. This position performs a wide variety of duties including, but not limited to: assist in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities related to the City’s land use planning and control programs; assist in representing the City in development and land use matters and participate in numerous public meetings; prepare agenda items for the City Council, Planning Commission and other Committees, Commissions and Boards involved in land use, development, and general planning activities; provide technical advice to the Community Development Director, City manager, City Council, other City departments, and civic groups on planning, zoning enforcement and related matters; prepare and administer the Planning division budget; administer and enforce the City’s environmental impact review procedures; research complex planning problems and prepare a variety of comprehensive reports; respond to citizen inquiries, complaints and requests for information; supervise and resolve planning and administrative policy questions; supervise, train and evaluate assigned staff; perform related duties as assigned.
The City of Baldwin Park recently adopted a placed based Downtown Specific Plan. Downtown Baldwin Park is in transition with new mixed-use development near the Metrolink station. Other notable projects taking place in the Downtown include a new 3-acre Zocalo Park Civic Center Plaza to be completed in 2023, and a recently completed Downtown Beautification project that encourages walkabilkity and multimodal transportation within the Downtown Area.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
- At least five full-time paid years of progressively responsible experience in municipal planning, including two years in a supervisory capacity are required
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver’s License with satisfactory driving record
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Urban Planning or a closely related field
- Master’s Degree in appropriate field of study may substitute for one year of practical experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of principles and practices of urban planning; urban design and neo-traditional planning
- Knowledge of laws underlying general plans, CEQA and environmental matters, zoning, entitlement and land use division
- Knowledge of organization, administration, budget and personnel management
- Ability to plan, assign, coordinate and supervise the work of professional, technical and clerical personnel
- Ability to interpret planning and zoning programs to the general public
- Ability to manage, develop, and monitor division budget
- Identify, coordinate and resolve a wide variety of interests in the development of land use policy
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with City officials, other governmental agencies, citizens and the public
- Operate a computer and utilize a variety of software programs such as Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Photoshop, GIS
THE SELECTION PROCESS
- For consideration in this job opportunity, please submit a completed and signed City of Baldwin Park employment application.
- Apply immediately! This recruitment is open until the needs of the City are met.
- It is anticipated applications will first be reviewed on Thursday August 25, 2022.
- Applications may be submitted online only through Government Jobs.
- Applications may be accompanied by a resume describing experience, education, and/or training in relation to the requirements of the position, but will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
- All applications will be reviewed in detail and the most highly qualified applicants will be invited to continue in the selection process. Failure to state all pertinent information may lead to elimination from competition.
- This selection process will consist of an Application Evaluation (Qualifying) and Appraisal Interviews (100%).
- The successful candidate will be required to undergo a background check which includes fingerprinting, pre-employment medical examination, including a drug/alcohol screening; and must be able to establish both work authorization & identity.
For more information regarding this opportunity, contact our office at (626) 813-5207.