APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Los Angeles Neighborhood Initiative (LANI) / Los Angeles, CA
Posted on: September 6, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
LOS ANGELES NEIGHBORHOOD INITIATIVE (LANI)
Community Improvement Projects
Los Angeles Neighborhood Initiative is seeking an experienced professional to implement neighborhood-scale capital improvements and planning processes. The Program Manager will help LANI partner with community members and City and County offices and agencies to conceive, fund, design, and build public spaces that meet local needs and reflect local pride and character, including parks and open spaces, pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure, business corridors, transit hubs, and safe, vibrant sidewalk environments.
LANI formed as a non-profit in 1994 to advance inclusive, equitable, neighborhood-driven community development. Our model combines expert project management with deep community outreach that empowers local stakeholders and generates substantive communal decision-making. The goal of LANI’s projects is to make disadvantaged neighborhoods better places to work, learn, and live.
LANI revitalizes neighborhoods by engaging people and building vibrant public spaces.
Join our small, collaborative team to oversee planning and implementation of neighborhood improvement projects, including but not limited to facilitation of community outreach and consensus planning, oversight of design and construction of public improvement projects, contract management, and timely preparation of periodic internal and funding reports.
Will train qualified candidate who brings project management and/or community engagement experience from another field.
Diversity at LANI
LANI is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, women, and/or other historically underrepresented groups.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status, or any legally protected status.
Detailed Job Description
- Create customized community outreach plans for each project
- Engage local communities in projects via meetings, workshops, or special events, hosted either by LANI, partner community-based organizations, or public agencies
- Create content for community engagement materials, including surveys, flyers, mailings, posters, etc.
- Build databases of community stakeholders for individual projects and recruit stakeholders to project Steering Committees
- Guide Steering Committees through project planning processes, including consultant selection and developing project budgets, and through construction implementation, including the change order process
- Facilitate productive Steering Committee meetings, including securing meeting rooms and providing agenda and minutes
- Form and facilitate project Technical Advisory Committees made up of relevant professionals and public agency representatives, which meet in parallel with project Steering Committees
- Facilitate Steering Committee interaction with City or County departments as needed
- Other miscellaneous support as necessary
- Follow requisite procurement guidelines and LANI community engagement process for selection of consultants/contractors, including, but not limited to consensus planners, project managers, architects, engineers, construction managers, and construction contractors
- Work closely with construction manager to oversee all construction activities, including but not limited to invoice approval, procurement processes, contracts, permitting, purchase orders, change orders and budgets
- Assist in securing help/support from City departments, County departments, City Council Offices and other elected officials, as needed
- Issue purchase orders for non-construction items, or for funds without construction management oversight, following appropriate procurement procedures
- Maintain construction files, contractor files, and consultant files
Funder Contract Management:
- Assist in developing funding contracts for awarded projects
- Write amendments to contracts when required
- Maintain funding contract files
- Submit periodic reports and fund (draw) requests for various funding sources
- Submit close-out reports
- Assist communities in developing project budgets in compliance with funding requirements
- Monitor project budgets to assure that construction and design expenditures and activities do not go beyond fund allocations or outside the scopes of work
Service/Vendor Contract Management:
- Maintain communication with all service providers, vendors, and subconsultants to ensure timely meeting of project goals, adherence to budget, and overall project quality
- Develop or assist in development of service contracts for LANI consultants/contractors, including, but not limited to planners, designers, architects, engineers, construction managers, and construction contractors
- Maintain service contract files
- Develop or assist with development of contract amendments and change orders
Contribute to LANI program development and planning as requested/desired.
Participation in LANI Community Forum and other special events as needed.
Requisite writing, meeting attendance, communication and interface with LANI board members and staff, community members, elected officials, municipal officials, LANI consultants and contractors, and the general public, as required, to carry out the responsibilities of the Program Manager position.
Hybrid: 3 days/week at home, 2 days/week in Downtown LA office (1 block from Metro light rail station)
Collaborative and supportive team and leadership
Opportunities for professional development
The Program Manager reports directly to the Director of Neighborhood Improvement Projects, and works in cooperation with the other LANI staff.
$50-65,000 annual salary range, depending on experience
Generous benefits package
11 paid holidays and paid office closure final week of December
Required Experience / Skills / Education
- To perform effectively in this position, the well-qualified candidate will have:
- Demonstrated project management experience, preferably in construction, planning, and/or public works projects
- Exceptional organizational skills; detail oriented and able to work independently to complete projects on a deadline
- Comfort speaking in front of a group, making presentations, and facilitating group discussions
- Superior problem-solving skills demonstrating diplomacy and tact
- Ability to develop and maintain a goal-oriented, positive attitude and be an effective team player
- Commitment to team objectives and LANI’s philosophies, and Interest and knowledge of the communities of Los Angeles
- Strong written communication skills, including editing for content and grammar
- Computer skills including preparation of spreadsheets, word processing, and presentation software
- Flexibility to attend periodic early morning, evening, and weekend meetings, programs, and special events, as needed
- Ability to interface equally well with colleagues, elected officials, funders, corporate partners, community members, and the general public
- Current California driver’s license and insurance
- Spanish proficiency strongly preferred
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com