APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
Project Manager – Planning Policy and Design
MIG Inc. / Pasadena, CA
Posted on: September 23, 2022
Application Deadline: Open until filled
MIG, Inc. is a national firm specializing in planning, design, communications, management, science, and technology. We believe that the environment around us has a profound impact on our lives and our shared vision is of a world where people, communities, and ecosystems thrive. For 40 years, MIG has engaged the talents and vitality of top professionals who plan, design, and sustain the social and physical environments that support human development.
We are seeking an experienced (mid or senior-level) planning and urban design Project Manager to join our team of planners, urban designers, and engagement specialists in our Pasadena office for work throughout California.
MIG’s staff continue to work largely remotely. This position will require part-time in-office work. Proof of vaccination is required at MIG for in-person work.
Responsibilities – What You’ll Accomplish
- Collaborative Teammate: You will work as part of a cross-office, cross-discipline team that creates plans for neighborhoods, districts, and communities of all sizes throughout California.
- Project Management: As a project manager, you will be leading teams to create bold, innovative, and equitable planning and urban design solutions via general plans, specific plans, and zoning regulations. You will also help build and maintain strong and responsive client relationships by developing leads, preparing proposals, and attending and leading interviews.
- Project Work: You will provide overarching project direction to MIG staff and oversight of work products; lead internal and external subconsultant and client teams; and develop and manage projects―including scopes of work, budgets, and schedules. In addition, Project Managers at MIG maintain client relationships, identify courses of action to clients, represent clients at public hearings and meetings, and set the standards for excellence, responsiveness, and accountability.
- Project Types: The projects you will typically work on may include citywide comprehensive plans, small area plans, neighborhood plans, downtown plans, housing strategies, parks and recreation system plans, and corresponding community engagement, including the use of various online tools.
This is a full-time, hourly position with eligibility for overtime pay. Some travel, evening, and weekend work will be required for community engagement, site evaluations, or to meet deadlines. MIG encourages a work-life balance, and these excess hours can be offset during the week when possible. MIG values diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer; we encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Candidates may be required to take a skills assessment in planning, conducting presentations, and/or budget and scope drafting. The pay range for this position is $35-$50/hour, commensurate with skills and experience.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Experience and Qualifications for Success – What We’d Like to See
To accomplish the responsibilities, you will be an excellent communicator, be able to manage competing priorities, think critically and creatively, work as part of a collaborative team in an open environment, and maintain a sense of humor and camaraderie. In addition, you have some combination of the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in planning, urban design, landscape architecture, public policy, geography, or a related field. (A Master’s degree in these or a complementary field is a plus.)
- Relevant consulting experience working in planning or a closely related field. Experience with and ability to producing written plan documents, planning strategies and associated analysis is required.
- Demonstrated experience managing projects, including maintaining compliance with project contracts, drafting and managing scopes budgets, and maintaining schedules, as well as working with clients and partners to execute project work and ensure completeness and quality control on deliverables.
- The ability to prepare and deliver effective public presentations, lead working meetings, and speak easily and clearly in front of groups and facilitate client and stakeholder meetings.
- Excellent skills in graphics and document presentation and written and verbal
- Software proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office Suite. Experience in GIS, AutoCAD, and/or SketchUp is a plus.
- Ability to actively participate in or lead marketing and business development opportunities, develop proposals for prospective projects, participate in interviews, and develop and maintain potential client and partner relationships.
- Ability to develop collaborative, productive, and respectful relationships with community members, organizations, and partners.
- As a plus, you are bilingual with Spanish language skills.
How to Apply
If this position sounds like a fit for your skillsets and you are passionate about creating and improving communities, we would love to hear from you! Please email your resume, portfolio, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.