APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Climate Action Planner
Ascent Environmental / Berkeley, Sacramento, Irvine, or San Diego
Posted on: March 14, 2023
Application Deadline: Open until filled
DOES THIS DESCRIBE YOU?
You have a long reading list of research and studies relating to climate change. You have been tracking important California climate policies and plans, like AB 1279 and the 2022 Scoping Plan. You find yourself daydreaming about the role of carbon sequestration in achieving carbon neutrality. Helping California communities reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in equitable ways energizes you. You possess strong analytical and writing skills and have experience with conducting technical work and clearly writing a plan that resonates with the reader. You thrive on developing jurisdiction-specific GHG reduction measures that are innovative and implementable. You know the ABCs and 123s of the body of legislation and guidance regulating and directing this type of work in California. You are curious, caring, collegial, collaborative, career-oriented, and committed to quality and continued learning to keep up to date with changing requirements.
Here’s what you would do:
Ascent is seeking a Climate Action Planner to join our practice based in our Berkeley Sacramento, Irvine, or San Diego offices. You will be working as part of the Climate Action and Adaptation Planning team. For a typical week in this position, you might:?
- Be responsible for and lead data collection and review for preparing baseline GHG emissions inventories and future emissions projections
- Independently use spreadsheet models and current protocols for GHG quantification tasks
- Conduct QA/QC reviews of completed calculations
- Develop GHG targets and determine the potential reduction effectiveness of GHG measures
- Identify and craft GHG reduction measures for local communities and public agencies
- Develop approaches and perform calculations to quantify carbon sequestration benefits
- Lead development of implementation and monitoring tools for clients
- Manage projects and plans, as well as prepare scopes, schedules, budgets, and invoicing
- Cultivate client and agency relationships
- Team up with project managers, principals, and other expert colleagues on all your projects
- Discuss technical approaches with recognized statewide leaders in climate action planning at Ascent
- Attend internal and external training opportunities
- Advance equity in the climate action planning process
- Assist with proposal efforts and development of marketing plans
- Work with State agencies; regional air, water, and transportation districts and agencies; cities and counties; and others
- Lead and assist with organizing and conducting community workshops and public outreach events
- Stay up to date on the current state of the science and practice by reviewing resources from expert agencies and organizations
- Tackle a broad range of climate change issues using leading-edge thinking and understand how these topics cut across planning for housing, environmental justice communities, and safety
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Ascent is seeking a qualified individual that possesses excellent analytical and writing skills to prepare climate action plans for a wide range of clients from cities and counties to State and regional agencies. The ideal candidate would have a strong understanding of California rules, regulations, plans, and programs related to climate change and how such plans relate to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and other types of planning documents; have excellent Microsoft Word/Excel skills in addition to using tabular calculation and emissions modeling software (e.g., EMFAC, OFFROAD); and can navigate GHG quantification protocols and be able to work within schedules and budgets. The ideal candidate would also understand the role of carbon sequestration in achieving GHG reduction goals and associated analytical methods; have experience with leading and participating in community engagement and outreach events; and have led project management tasks. Also, the candidate should have a bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in planning, environmental studies, geography, natural resources, physical sciences, or a related field, along with a minimum of 5 years of experience.
Ascent offers a supportive, collaborative, and intellectually challenging work environment with excellent benefits. We invest in our employees’ careers and welfare and strive to provide high-quality outcomes for our clients. We offer flexible hours, collegial teamwork, participation in important and challenging projects, opportunities to contribute to and join in-service events for our local communities, and regular performance recognition.?
Ascent is committed to creating a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging throughout all facets of the organization. We value and will strive to ascend by welcoming and uplifting all voices, ideas, achievements, and contributions, including those from marginalized communities and identities. We believe that recognizing and embracing our differences makes us a stronger organization. We commit to proactively nurturing environments of mutual support, respect, and caring for all through our words and actions. Join us on our journey.
Affirmative Action/EEO Statement
Ascent provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves or absence, compensation, and training.
Please apply here https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/1556551