APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consultant, Resilience Practice
WSP / All locations: US-CA-Los Angeles, US-CA-San Francisco, US-CO-Denver, US-DC-Washington, US-FL-Miami, US-GA-Atlanta, US-IL-Chicago, US-MA-Boston, US-NC-Charlotte, US-NY-New York, US-TX-Houston, US-WA-Seattle
Posted on: May 9, 2023
Application Deadline: Open until filled
WSP is currently initiating a search for a Consultant to support our company’s growing Resilience Practice and our Climate Resilience and Sustainability Team. This is a full-time position located in any of our United States offices, preferably in our Washington, DC office.
This is a technical position that requires experience in (i) modeling climate-related hazards such as sea level rise, storm surge, and riverine flooding, (ii) assessing the probable impacts caused by those hazards to our clients’ infrastructure assets, their services, and our society, and (iii) supporting the integration of this information into policy, strategies, programs, planning, projects, and climate adaptation decisions to support climate resilience efforts. You will work with other experts from our Resilience Practice, including climate scientists, engineers, planners, economists, policy specialists, and risk modelers, and expand our organization to meet our growing portfolio of clients.
- Provide quantitative and spatial analysis and modeling of exposure, vulnerability, risks, and resilience associated with long-term climate change considerations for a range of clients.
- Develop methods and tools to support effective decisions and improve capital investments to reduce the effects of future climate-related hazards.
- Participate on multiple projects, delivering on project commitments through effective coordination with internal colleagues, external resources and agencies, and consulting team partners.
- Contribute to a diverse team of experts working to advance the Resilience Practice through effective data-driven analysis and decision-making.
- Represent WSP USA in the marketplace, contributing capabilities and experiences to other WSP offices.
- Support clients and participate in client meetings to understand and meet requirements for projects.
- Assist with preparing marketing materials in support of business development pursuits, and contributing to business development efforts.
- Competently understand and begin to critically apply the range of services provided by different Advisory Services business lines.
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct, and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Perform additional responsibilities as required by business needs.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, planning, physical sciences, mathematics, or other discipline relevant to the assessment and management of climate/disaster risk and resilience
- 3+ years of relevant post education experience in discipline and in a management consulting or client advisory capacity.
- Experience working with a spectrum of environmental, socio-economic, and infrastructure data sets and large datasets using programming language (e.g., R, Matlab, Python)
- Attention to detail; commitment and skills to identify and detect errors; commitment to thorough quality reviews and checks; and commitment to accuracy, correctness, and excellence
- Ability to be innovative on challenging topics to produce client-tailored products
- Experience working independently, and on efforts requiring remote collaboration
- Experience communicating orally and in writing technical analysis and results to non-technical audiences using data visualization and maps
- Effective self-leadership with attention to detail, results orientation, and managing multiple priorities in a dynamic work environment.
- Ability to learn new techniques, perform multiple tasks simultaneously, follow instruction, work independently, and comply with company policies.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills required to apply technical knowledge to reach conclusions from testing results, data collation, statistical analysis and arriving at the most effective, economical, and logical solution.
- Proven track record of upholding workplace safety and ability to abide by WSP’s health, safety and drug/alcohol and harassment policies.
- Ability to work schedules conducive to project-specific requirements that may extend beyond the typical workweek.
- Occasional travel may be required depending on project-specific requirements.
- Post Graduate Education
- Management consulting experience
- Experience working with transportation agencies (e.g., FHWA, DOTs, MPOs)
- In-depth understanding of probability theory
Apply here: https://phe.tbe.taleo.net/phe01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=V8D6AK&cws=37&rid=12888