APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning Manager I/II
County of Ventura / Ventura, CA
Posted on: November 3, 2023
Application Deadline: December 1, 2023 no later than 5:00 P.M.
The Planning Manager reports directly to the Assistant Planning Director and has primary responsibility of the Commercial and Industrial Permit Section; Assists in the planning, organizing, directing, and coordination of various activities within the Planning Divisions of the Resource Management Agency (RMA); and performs related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated individual with expertise in planning principles and practice, exceptional communication skills, and proven success managing, mentoring, and motivating professional staff. Additionally, the successful candidate will have demonstrated ability implementing Zoning Ordinance regulations, General Plan policies, and the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). Individuals who are certified by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) and hold a Master’s degree in Urban Planning, or a related field from an accredited university are highly desired.
This series is characterized by the responsibility to plan, organize, and supervise the activities of a section within the RMA Planning Division. Manager – RMA Services I – Planning is the entry-level management job class within RMA and the Manager – RMA – Services II – Planning is the intermediate level. Incumbents are distinguished from Deputy Director – RMA series in that the latter is responsible for managing an entire major division of the Agency.
Annual Salary Range for Planning Manager I/II – $101,460.85 – $155,215.31; Placement within this range is dependent on qualifications and experience. Approximate salary for Manager – RMA Services I – Planning – $3,902.34 – $5,463.28 (Biweekly) and Manager – RMA Services II – Planning $4,263.74 – $5,969.82 (Biweekly)
For more information about Planning Manager job opening, please visit our website: County of Ventura Employment Opportunity – Planning Manager I/II
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Extensive experience which has led to the acquisition of the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. The required knowledge, skills and abilities may be obtained by extensive journey level experience in land use planning coupled with training, education and/or additional experience which has led to possession and competency in supervisory and management practices.
An example of extensive experience can be obtained by nine (9) years’ increasingly responsible experience performing varied and complex permit planning work. Experience in permitting or related regulatory activity in the oil and gas industry and/or a Bachelor’s in urban or Regional Planning or a related field may substitute for four (4) years of experience.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Must be willing to travel throughout Ventura County to manager assignments or work projects.
- Possession of and the ability to maintain a valid California driver license.
Experience working with elected and appointed public officials and bodies, public agencies, and community groups.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills must be demonstrated in the completion of the employment application and supplemental questionnaire.
- Experience implementing state of local regulations that pertain to the extraction of natural resources (e.g., surface mining, oil and gas production.
- Master’s degree in urban and/or Regional Planning, Natural Resources or related field.
- Considerable management/supervisory experience.
- Three (3) or more years management experience leading a team of professional planning staff.
- Two (2) or more years of experience in the preparation of environmental impact reports pursuant to California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) membership.
- Effective, demonstrated experience or knowledge of Surface Mining and Reclamation Act (SMARA).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of: Principles, practices, and techniques to accomplish work related to urban and regional planning.
Federal, state, and local laws and regulations relating to planning and land use and environmental protection.
Working knowledge of:
- California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) review process.
- Management and leadership principles, practices, and techniques.
- Map and plans reading and interpretation.
- Evaluating and processing projects and permits subject to the Surface Mining and Reclamation Act (SMARA).
- Evaluating, processing, and implementing regulations governing gas and oil activities.
- Managing multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Supervise, direct, coordinate and implement major land use planning projects and programs.
- Understand and interpret local ordinances.
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data.
- Set objectives and review recommendations.
- Prepare clear and concise written reports.
- Supervise, train, and evaluate the work of professional and technical planning subordinate staff.
- Provide mentorship and professional development to staff.
- Manage consultant service contracts for selectin, annual budgeting and invoicing, and performance.
- Assist the Planning Director and Assistant Planning Director to manage the operations of the Planning Division.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with others.
- Present and communicate clearly and effectively with the Board of Supervisors, other governing bodies, staff, citizens, and interest groups.
To apply on-line, please refer to our web site at www.ventura.org/jobs. If you prefer to fill out a paper application form, please call (805) 654-5129 for application materials and submit them to County of Ventura Human Resources, 800 South Victoria Avenue, L-1970, Ventura, CA 93009.
Note to Applicants: It is essential that you complete all sections of your application and supplemental questionnaire thoroughly and accurately to demonstrate your qualifications. A resume and/or other related documents may be attached to supplement the information in your application; however, it/they may not be substituted in lieu of the application.NOTE: If presently permanently employed in another “merit” or “civil service” public agency/entity in the same or substantively similar position as is advertised, and if appointed to that position by successful performance in a “merit” or “civil service” style examination, then appointment by “Lateral Transfer” may be possible. If interested, please click here (Download PDF reader)(Download PDF reader) (Download PDF reader) for additional information.
SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE – qualifying: All applicants are required to complete and submit the questionnaire for this examination AT THE TIME OF FILING. The supplemental questionnaire may be used throughout the examination process to assist in determining each applicant’s qualifications and acceptability for the position. Failure to complete and submit the questionnaire will result in the application being removed from consideration.
APPLICATION EVALUATION – qualifying: All applications will be reviewed to determine whether the stated requirements are met. Applicants meeting the stated requirements will be invited to continue to the next step in the recruitment process.
NOTE: If upon first review there is a high number of applicants who appear to meet the minimum requirements, additional comparative screening will be conducted to determine which of the applicants will be selected for invitation to the oral examination. Applications will be evaluated and ranked according to criteria that most closely meets the needs of the department, so it is essential that applicants provide as much detail as possible and answer all parts of the application and supplemental questions completely and thoroughly.
ORAL EXAMINATION – 100%: A job-related Oral Examination will be conducted to evaluate and compare participating candidates’ knowledge, skills, and abilities in relation to those factors which job analysis has determined to be essential for successful performance of the job. Candidates must earn a score of seventy percent (70%) or higher to qualify for placement on the eligible list.
If there are three (3) or fewer qualified applicants, an oral examination will not be conducted. Instead, a score of seventy percent (70%) will be assigned to each application, and each applicant will be placed on the eligible list.
Candidates successfully completing the examination process may be placed on an eligible list for a period of one (1) year.
The eligible list established from this recruitment may be used to fill current and future Regular (including Temporary, Extra Help, Intermittent, and Fixed-Term) vacancies for this position and similar positions within the Resource Management Agency. There is currently one (1) Regular vacancy within the Planning Division, Commercial and Industrial Permits Section.
BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: A thorough post offer, pre-employment background investigation which may include inquiry into past employment, education, criminal background information and driving record is required for this position.
For further information about this recruitment, please contact Happy Stem via email at email@example.com
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The County of Ventura is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.