About the APA Los Angeles Planning Awards
Every year, the APA Los Angeles Planning Awards celebrate the outstanding work, best practices, and thought leaders that impact the built and natural environment in Los Angeles County. We are seeking applications that demonstrate the power of great planning and strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups, areas of practice, and projects. Award submissions are evaluated by a jury of experienced planning professionals, and recipients are recognized at the annual awards event held in June. Our awards program celebrates the wonderful work, organizations, and individuals creating great communities for all across our diverse county.
2020 Call for Applications – UPDATED 3/20
APA Los Angeles is accepting applications for the 2020 Planning Awards through Friday, March 27, 2020. The required letters of support may be submitted through Friday, April 3, and a PDF copy of an e-mailed letter is acceptable in lieu of signed letterhead. If you have extenuating circumstances or further questions, please contact Bryan Fernandez, Vice-Director of Awards at email@example.com.
Required Application Materials
- Completed online application form. You will need to prepare the following information:
- Name of plan, project, organization, or individual
- Nomination category
- 500-word summary
- Date published, implemented or completed (if applicable)
- 500-1,000 word explanation demonstrating how the submission meets the criteria under the selected category
- Nominator name and contact information
- Award recipient name, contact, and recognition information
- Upload a zipped folder as requested in the application that contains the following components:
- Letter(s) of support (1 minimum, 5 maximum, in PDF format – a PDF of an email is acceptable in lieu of signed letterhead)
- Project/plan document, or a resume for nominations of an individual (in PDF format)
- High resolution photos (1024 x 768, 10 maximum, in JPEG or PNG format only)
- Zipped folder should be maximum 10 MB and titled Project Name_Award Category
Please be sure that applications are complete and accurate. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Any plan, project, program, tool, process, report or ordinance may only be entered in one award category per award year.
- Any plan, project, program, tool, process, report, or ordinance entered must have been published, implemented, or completed within three years of the date of submission. Published drafts of plans are not acceptable. This does not apply to the Implementation award category.
- An individual may not nominate himself/herself (the individual) for an award. Anyone working on a plan or project may nominate that plan or project for an award.
- The application’s area of impact must be located within Los Angeles County, and the individual or firm or agency being nominated must be recognized for their work or impact within Los Angeles County.
- Prior award winners may not be nominated.
By submitting the application, the nominator agrees to the awards process and to all decisions by APA Los Angeles on the application. Applicants will be notified by email no later than a week after submitting the required application materials. Notification of the outcome will be shared by email no later than April 15. Recipients will also be assisted in their applications for the APA California Awards and APA’s National Planning Awards. One award plaque per category will be provided courtesy of APA Los Angeles. Additional plaques will be available for purchase by recipients.
If you have any questions, or would like assistance in the application process, please contact Bryan Fernandez, Vice-Director of Awards at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Los Angeles Section and California Chapter Awards Coordination
Beginning in 2020, all Chapter award applicants must first apply at the Section level where the project, plan, or work occurred in order to be eligible for a Chapter award, unless the award is not offered at the Section level or the project is of significance in multiple sections.
Additionally, certain categories require a win at the Section level in order to be eligible for a Chapter award. Please see the table below. For details, refer to the Chapter Awards Policy at apacalifornia.org.
The Section will provide a list of all local award applicants and winners to the Chapter Awards coordinators.
|Los Angeles Section Awards||California Chapter Awards||Requires Section Award for Chapter Awards Eligibility|
|2||Advancing Diversity and Social Change (Paul Davidoff)||Advancing Diversity and Social Change (Paul Davidoff)||No|
|3||Best Practices||Best Practices||Yes*|
|4||Communications Initiative||Communications Initiative||No|
|5||Comprehensive Plan: Large Jurisdiction||Comprehensive Plan: Large Jurisdiction||Yes*|
|6||Comprehensive Plan: Small Jurisdiction||Comprehensive Plan: Small Jurisdiction||Yes*|
|7||Distinguished Contribution||Distinguished Contribution||No|
|8||Distinguished Service||Distinguished Service||No|
|9||Economic Planning and Development||Economic Planning and Development||No|
|10||Emerging Planning and Design Firm||Emerging Planning and Design Firm||No|
|12||Grassroots Initiative||Grassroots Initiative||Yes*|
|13||Hard-Won Victory||Hard-Won Victory||No|
|14||Implementation: Large Jurisdiction||Implementation: Large Jurisdiction||Yes*|
|15||Implementation: Small Jurisdiction||Implementation: Small Jurisdiction||Yes*|
|16||Innovation in Green Community Planning||Innovation in Green Community Planning||Yes*|
|17||Innovative Use of Technology||N/A||N/A|
|18||John Chase Visionary Award||N/A||N/A|
|19||Neighborhood Planning Award||N/A||N/A|
|20||Opportunity and Empowerment||Opportunity and Empowerment||No|
|21||Outstanding Young Planner||N/A||N/A|
|22||Planning Advocate||Planning Advocate||No|
|23||Planning Agency||Planning Agency||No|
|24||Planner Emeritus Network||Planner Emeritus Network||No|
|25||Planning Firm||Planning Firm||No|
|26||Planning Landmark||Planning Landmark||No|
|27||Planning Pioneer||Planning Pioneer||No|
|28||Public Outreach||Public Outreach||Yes|
|30||Transportation Planning||Transportation Planning||Yes|
|31||Urban Design||Urban Design||Yes|
*also requires 1st place in category for Chapter eligibility