Office Of Los Angeles City Councilwoman Monica Rodriguez (CD-7) / City Hall, Downtown Los Angeles
Posted on: October 16, 2023
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Los Angeles City Councilwoman Monica Rodriguez is seeking a highly motivated individual
interested in serving as the Planning Deputy for the 7th Council District. The 7th Council District includes the communities of Pacoima, Sylmar, Mission Hills, North Hills, Lake View Terrace, Shadow Hills, La Tuna Canyon, Sunland and Tujunga.
DESCRIPTION: The strongest candidate will have: an interest and understanding of urban
planning, civic engagement, and managing projects involving multiple stakeholders and
departments. Additional desired skills include a familiarity with the City of Los Angeles Planning Department, excellent organizational, communication and community-relations skills; the experience and sensitivity needed to work effectively with multiple-stakeholder groups; and an ability to work well as a member of a team in a fast-paced, political environment. This position will report to the Director of Planning and Economic Development.
ISSUE AREAS WITHIN DEPUTY’S PORTFOLIO:
● Current Planning/Development
● Public Works
● Responsible for current planning casework generated by constituents as well as private
● Assist in advising the Councilwoman, in consultation with City Departments and the
Director, on discretionary land use decisions;
● Follow Council committees related to the above listed issue areas and advise the
Councilwoman and staff on policy matters within that scope;
● Lead district-level transportation strategy and priorities;
● Support transportation project management including tracking project progress and
public engagement coordination;
● Develop and maintain positive working relationships with relevant city departments and
community groups dealing with transportation, land use, and public works.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in planning or related field.
● Strong written and oral communications skills, bilingual in Spanish and/or Armenian,
● Background and understanding of Council District 7.
● Self-directed, ability to effectively solve problems, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks
under pressure in a fast paced environment.
● Ability to analyze large volumes of information, manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
● Competency in relevant computer skills.
● Work night and/or weekend hours as necessary to attend meetings, events, and staff the
Councilwoman and/or perform other essential duties.
The ideal candidate will possess a passion for serving the community and its residents; should have experience with public speaking; working knowledge of/or background in government and/the communities of Council District 7; demonstrate an excellent ability to communicate in writing; be detailed-oriented and a self-starter; have good judgment, and a strong ability to achieve established goals, as well as the ability to work as a part of a team in a fast paced environment.
The annual base salary for this position is in the range of $55,000-75,000. The exact salary
compensation will be based on skills and experience.
In accordance with Los Angeles City Ordinance 187134, candidates must meet the
minimum requirement of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or receive an
exemption and report their vaccination status prior to being hired by the hiring City
department. The ordinance is available at: https://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2021/21-0921_ord_187134_8-24-21.prf.
This position will remain open until sufficient applications have been received. This is an
exempt, at-will position. The individual appointed to this position will not accrue any civil
service tenure, contractual employment rights, or due process rights.The incumbent may
be removed, without any finding of cause, by the hiring authority.
The City of Los Angeles is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. As a covered
entity Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not
discriminate on the basis of disability and, upon request, will provide reasonable
accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services and activities.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Councilmember.Rodriguez@lacity.org with “Planning Deputy” in the subject line.