APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
Toole Design Group / Los Angeles
Posted on: February 16, 2021
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
** This position is a regular, full-time position that is temporarily a fully remote position.**
Are you fascinated by the built environment? Are you passionate about sustainability and the opportunity to work on challenging multimodal projects that make communities more livable? Would you enjoy working on a variety of projects with unique challenges and requirements in communities across North America? If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team as a Project Planner or Project Engineer in Los Angeles, CA office.
Why join Toole Design?
At Toole Design, we’re working to create vibrant, multimodal transportation solutions for people of all ages and abilities. Our staff of 200+ engineering, design, and planning professionals are passionate about making a difference in communities large and small. The pace is fast, our team is creative and dynamic, and you will collaborate with planners, engineers, and urban designers on transformative projects in California and across the country.
As a Planner/Engineer, the projects you envision will get built! You will contribute to projects, lead analysis, work directly with our clients, represent Toole Design in project and stakeholder meetings, and reinforce our reputation as trusted experts. You’ll work with other planners, landscape architects, urban designers, and engineers to deliver a variety of exciting project types focused on making places and travel experiences better for everyone, including local, regional, and statewide active transportation plans, Vision Zero plans, corridor and safety studies, and conceptual design.
You’ll work with your colleagues to engage communities, develop concepts, evaluate options, produce quick-build schematic-level construction documents, design Complete Streets and Vision Zero safety projects, and assist with the implementation of multimodal projects that range from small improvements to full-scale street reconfigurations. In an industry that is constantly changing, you’ll be at the forefront of planning, designing, and implementing real solutions.
Toole Design is a committed to building a diverse and welcoming team. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We are an equal opportunity, woman-owned business and are proud that half of our managers are female and of our commitment to achieving racial diversity amongst the firm leadership. No matter what your background is – we encourage you to apply for this position.
About our Los Angeles office:
Southern California is poised to change significantly over the next decade, with transportation improvements at the forefront of its evolution, and this is your opportunity to join a rapidly growing team to help build it, alongside a talented mix of planners and engineers who strive to support one another and our communities. Whether it’s Metro’s Measure M Capital Expenditure Plan, preparing for the Olympics in 2028, or working on mobility-as-a-service technology, Toole Design is poised to help shape this future.
The Los Angeles Office is located in Downtown LA and opened in 2018. We are walking distance from the Metro A (Blue), E (Expo), Red, and Purple Lines, Metro Bike Share, and dozens of bus lines. You will experience a company culture that is rooted in family, fun, and creative thinking. Strong values, flexibility, and exceptional quality work are just a few of the characteristics we hold in high regard.
You’ll be great here if:
• You are excited about transforming transportation networks and creating healthy and resilient environments for communities
• You want to develop and implement projects that will have an immediate impact on communities
• You enjoy building meaningful relationships across disciplines and between offices
• You deliver high-quality work on time and within budget
• You are detail oriented and have strong organizational skills
• You’re motivated to tackle new challenges and develop creative solutions
We’ll offer you:
• The chance to discuss, plan, and design multimodal transportation policies, programs, corridors, and networks for communities in California and across the United States
• An environment that fosters innovative, thoughtful and research-based best design practices
• The potential to grow as a professional and advance in a company that promotes from within
• Exceptional opportunities for professional development through internal training and with professional associations
• Competitive salary and benefits
• A workplace that practices what it preaches, with engaged colleagues and financial incentives to bike, walk, and use transit on your commute
Required Experience / Skills / Education
• A bachelor’s or master’s degree in urban or transportation planning, civil or transportation engineering, or a related field; additional years of experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
• At least 5 years of planning and/or engineering experience at a consulting firm, public entity, non-profit, or higher learning institution.
• Experience conducting public outreach and engagement
• A broad knowledge base in street design and urban multimodal planning and an interest in multimodal design (specifically for bicycle, pedestrian, Safe Routes to School, Complete Streets, Vision Zero, and/or transit integration)
• Experience working with multidisciplinary teams and multi-phased projects
• Experience with bicycle and pedestrian projects
It would be a plus if you have:
• Experience independently managing small- to mid-size projects and mentoring younger staff
• Experience in various stages of marketing, including business development, proposal strategy and writing, and interviewing
• Strong writing skills and experience working as a support and/or lead writer for planning and/or engineering documents
• Experience in graphic production in both 2D and 3D using Sketchup and the Adobe Creative suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) including data visualization, mapping, and document layout
• Experience with or ability to quickly learn Computer Automated Design (AutoCAD or MicroStation)
• Experience with ArcGIS and/or QGIS
• Experience with Synchro and a general understanding of traffic engineering principles
If you would like to be considered as a potential candidate for this position, please click “Apply for this Job” below or visit our careers page http://www.tooledesign.com/company/careers and select the corresponding position. Toole Design Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer) and encourages women and minorities to apply. No phone calls, please. For more information about Toole Design Group, visit our website (www.tooledesign.com), follow us on Twitter (@tooledesign), or like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TooleDesignGroup ).