APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
Junior Transportation Planner
NelsonNygaard / Los Angeles, CA
Posted on: February 20, 2021
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
NelsonNygaard Consulting Associates is seeking a highly organized, independent, and motivated junior transportation planner (Associate-level) for its Los Angeles office to support the firm’s nationally recognized practice in multimodal transportation planning for livable communities. A strong interest and background in developing the transportation aspects of livable communities is a must.
For over 30 years, we’ve led the transportation planning field with our values and innovation. For all that time, we’ve been guided by the principle of putting people first—designing transportation systems for people, not just cars. This principle also extends to how we operate as a firm internally. We were founded by two women who believed in the benefits of a more egalitarian workplace, where leadership and innovation could blossom at all levels and where diversity was a core strength. We are 120 talented and dedicated people in nine offices across the country; what unites us at NelsonNygaard is the belief that transportation can change the world and ceaseless drive to make the world more just, more sustainable, more connected, more beautiful.
Junior Associate responsibilities primarily focus on planning for municipalities, agencies, universities, and private clients and include research, data collection, spreadsheet analysis, mapping, writing and editing reports, developing outreach materials, and supporting minor business development tasks. Candidates must be willing to travel to a variety of communities and locations.
The successful applicant will primarily work with NelsonNygaard’s Los Angeles office, as well as with staff in offices throughout the country. Associates will be given the opportunity to support day-to-day planning on projects in multiple sectors including:
- Active Transportation: bicycle and pedestrian master plans, corridor and intersection safety improvement plans, Safes Routes to School implementation, and support of slow streets and tactile pop-up events.
- Cities and Streets: citywide mobility plans, regional long-range transportation plans, specific plans and general plan updates, and complete street design guidelines.
- Transit: performance audits and comprehensive operational analyses, funding plans, transit pass programs, and program monitoring.
- Parking and Transportation Demand Management (TDM): municipal parking plans, travel demand forecasting, curb management studies, campus master plans, and trip reduction strategies for public agencies, major employers, universities, and proposed developments.
- Emerging Mobility: shared mobility policy and program evaluation, community needs assessment, transportation technology assessments, mobility hubs planning and design, and big data analytics and dashboard development.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Qualifications and Requirements
The ideal candidate is someone who:
- holds a master’s degree in planning or equivalent degree with a specialization in transportation planning and 0-2 years of relevant experience or
- has a bachelor’s degree in a related field and 1-3 years of experience in transportation planning. Other relevant degrees and concentrations include: transportation engineering, transportation operations, urban/city/regional planning, urban design, and landscape architecture.
Above all, we are looking for someone who has a passion for sustainable transportation planning, is a strong communicator (oral, written, and visual), has great analytical skills, and is interested in making communities better for our clients and their constituents.
Potential candidates must demonstrate:
- Excellent skills in writing, data analysis, oral presentation, and problem-solving
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Proficiency with ESRI ArcGIS software
- Additional experience with graphics (Illustrator, InDesign, SketchUp), modeling (Synchro, TransCAD), or database analysis (R) will be considered favorably
Salary and Benefits
The annual salary range equivalent for this position is industry competitive, depending on qualifications and years of experience. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, pre-tax transit or bicycling benefit, a 401k program, life insurance and paid time off.
NelsonNygaard Consulting Associates, Inc. is an equal employment opportunity affirmative action employer.
Qualified and interested candidates should submit a resume and work samples (no larger than 4MB). No phone calls, please.
To apply, please click here: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/PER1007PWILL/JobBoard/b9e0921b-1230-465f-9436-edd64e872518/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=03afaab8-fef6-42c5-a2a3-6263f4a3d04e