APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program Manager-Community Improvement Projects
LANI-Los Angeles Neighborhood Initiative / Los Angeles
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Los Angeles Neighborhood Initiative (LANI) revitalizes neighborhoods by engaging people and building vibrant public spaces. LANI formed as a nonprofit in 1994 to advance inclusive, equitable, neighborhood-driven community development. Since our founding, LANI has invested over $45 million in more than 45 low and mixed-income neighborhoods across Los Angeles County. LANI partners with community members to conceive, fund, design, and build public spaces that meet local needs and reflect local pride and character, including parks and open spaces, pedestrian plazas, business corridors, transit hubs, and safe, vibrant sidewalk environments.
The hallmark of LANI’s work is our combination of expert project management with deep community outreach that empowers local stakeholders and generates substantive communal decision-making. Learn more on our website: www.lani.org
Rooted in our values of inclusion and equity, LANI provides a collaborative and collegial work environment and a comprehensive benefits package.
Job Description Summary
The LANI Program Manager oversees planning and implementation of neighborhood improvement projects, including but not limited to facilitation of community consensus planning, oversight of design and construction of public improvement projects, contract development, and timely preparation of periodic internal and funding reports.
- Develop funding contracts
- Write amendments to contracts when required
- Maintain funding contract files
- Submit periodic reports and fund (draw) requests for various funding sources
- Submit close-out reports
- Assist communities in developing project budgets
- Monitor project budgets to assure that construction and design expenditures and activities do not go beyond fund allocations or outside the scopes of work
- Develop or assist in development of service contracts for LANI consultants/contractors, including but not limited to consensus planners, project managers, architects, engineers, construction managers, and construction contractors
- Maintain service contract files
- Develop or assist with development of contract amendments and change orders
- Track contract and related insurance expirations and facilitate needed extensions and renewals
- Follow requisite procurement guidelines and LANI community engagement process for selection of consultants/contractors, including but not limited to consensus planners, project managers, architects, engineers, construction managers, and construction contractors
- Work closely with construction manager to oversee all construction activities, including but not limited to invoice approval, procurement processes, contracts, permitting, purchase orders, change orders and budgets
- Assist in securing help/support from City departments, County departments, City Council Offices and other elected officials, as needed
- Issue purchase orders for non-construction items, or for funds without construction management oversight, following appropriate procurement procedures
- Maintain construction files, contractor files, and consultant files
- Create and lead implementation of comprehensive project outreach/engagement plan
- Facilitate formation of project Steering Committees
- Attend Steering Committee meetings, secure meeting rooms, provide agenda and minutes
- Guide Steering Committee through consultant selection process
- Guide Steering Committee through construction implementation, including the change order process
- Facilitate Steering Committee interaction with City or County departments (i.e., for bus shelter requests, graffiti clean-up, etc.)
- Other miscellaneous support as necessary
Support other LANI Program Managers as needed to provide event staffing and project assistance
Assist in preparation of LANI Fiscal Year budget
Contribute to LANI program development and planning as requested
Participation in LANI Community Forum and other special events as needed
Requisite writing, meeting attendance, communication and interfacing with LANI board members and staff, community members, elected officials, municipal officials, LANI consultants and contractors, and the general public as required to carry out the responsibilities of the Program Manager position
Program Manager responsibilities may be modified as LANI evolves. The Program Manager reports directly to the Director of Neighborhood Improvement Projects, and works in cooperation with the other LANI staff. The Program Manager supervises the work of Interns and assigned Project Assistants as needed.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
- Demonstrated experience managing planning and construction projects
- Commitment to team objectives and LANI’s philosophies
- Interest in and knowledge of the communities of Los Angeles
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong project management, organizational, and planning skills
- Ability to maintain composure in a very political environment
- Excellent and clear oral and written communication skills, including public speaking, and ability to communicate well with a wide range of audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload
- Budget management experience
- Superior problem-solving skills demonstrating diplomacy and tact
- Strong computer skills including preparation of spreadsheets, word processing and presentation software; proficiency in Adobe, Powerpoint, Canva, Photoshop and InDesign a plus
- Exceptional organizational skills; detail oriented and able to work independently to complete projects on deadline
- Ability to hit the ground running to achieve necessary results
- Ability to develop and maintain a goal-oriented, positive attitude and be an effective team player
- Ability to interface equally well with colleagues, the Board of Directors, elected officials, funders, corporate partners, LANI community members and the general public
- Ability to attend occasional early morning, evening and weekend meetings, programs and special events
- Current California driver’s license and a driving record acceptable to LANI’s insurance carrier
- Spanish language proficiency strongly preferred
Compensation and Application Instructions
Compensation: $55,000 to $70,000 annually. Medical, dental, retirement plan, and generous time-off benefits offered.
Please submit a cover letter and resume that clearly demonstrates your qualifications for the position to email@example.com.