APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
City of Long Beach / City of Long Beach
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Application Deadline: Friday, June 25, 2021 @ 4:30 PM Maybe extended
Under supervision, performs increasingly complex and responsible specialized, professional and technical planning work in the development and implementation of current, long range, community and environmental goals as governed by planning ordinances and development relating to municipal planning, environmental review, and redevelopment and housing.
The function of the classification includes but is not limited to those listed below:
May review complex applications and development plans for compliance with
applicable guidelines and regulations;
• May work with other departments, agencies, and the public to formulate and
implement the City plan;
• May make findings and recommendations on – municipal planning, environmental
review, and redevelopment and housing;
• May conduct code enforcement field studies, investigations, and compliance actions;
• May answer technical planning questions from the public and other governmental
• May interpret and explain City policies, plans, procedures, and regulations to the
• May research, collect and analyze demographic, social, economic, geographic, and
environmental data and write reports making recommendations to management;
• May organize and conduct community meetings;
• May formulate and participate in community outreach efforts;
• May make presentations to the Planning Commission, City Council and other
agencies, commissions, and groups;
• May represent the Planning Bureau before outside agencies and groups;
• May prepare additions and amendments to Master Plans (i.e. Long Beach General
Plan and Port Master Plan), and ordinances and resolutions implementing those
• May prepare and circulate environmental documents in conformance with State and
• May act as Zoning Administrative Hearing Officer or management representative at
various staff/management meetings;
• May act in lead or supervisory capacity;
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Urban Planning, Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Geography, Civil Engineering, Public Administration or a closely related field (proof required)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Candidates must possess all of the following:
• Knowledge of principles, practices and trends of public planning or in the specialty area to which assigned to;
• Knowledge of research methods, practices, and procedures of data collection and analyzing data;
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing, including appropriate use of grammar and punctuation
• Knowledge of federal, state and local land use and zoning laws, codes, and regulations;
• Knowledge and understanding of California planning regulations and laws including general planning, zoning, subdivisions, redevelopment, environmental (California Environmental Quality Act), and coastal regulations.
• Ability to read, comprehend, interpret, and apply laws, rules, codes, regulations and ordinances;
• Ability to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed;
• Ability to collect, analyze, compile, and arrange technical, statistical, and related information for planning and zoning research;
• Ability to develop clear, concise, and comprehensive studies, reports, and agenda items;
• Ability to present planning studies analyses and reports to boards, commissions, committees, and the public;
• Ability to lead, organize, and review the work of professional and technical staff;
• Ability to organize work assignments, set priorities, and meet critical time deadlines;
• Ability to read and understand technical drawings and specifications;
• Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written instructions;
• Ability to use tact, initiative, prudence, and good judgment within general policies, procedures, and legal guidelines;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people including City personnel, state, and federal agencies, private organizations and businesses, commissions/committees, members of the public, elected officials, and through effective interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS: Experience or focused educational coursework in advanced planning, California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), zoning/development review, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), subdivision of land, urban design, design review, landscape architecture; American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) certification, Master’s degree in planning related fields; bilingual language proficiency in Spanish/English or Khmer/English or Tagalog/English for some positions.
Application and Supplemental Questionnaire Application ………………………….. Qualifying Appraisal Interview………………………………………………………………………………………100%
A minimum rating of 70 must be attained in order to pass the examination. Certification by score bands will be considered based on analysis of exam results. The resulting eligible list will remain in effect for at least one year. Screening of applicants will be conducted on the basis of application and required supplemental application submitted. Only those candidates showing the strongest backgrounds on the basis of comparative analysis will be invited to the examination process. Based on the number of applications accepted, the selection procedure may be changed. In the event a revision is necessary, the affected persons will be notified.
To apply for this position please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/longbeach