APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
Permit Technician I-II
City of Long Beach / City of Long Beach
Posted on: June 10, 2021
Application Deadline: Friday, June 18, 2021 @ 4:30 PM Maybe extended
Under general supervision, assists architects, engineers, contractors, business owners, and homeowners by providing routine and technical information related to the issuance of permits; provides technical information regarding routine municipal code requirements and ordinances; assists the public in completing applications and other forms. Issues permits as authorized; provides customer support and assistance at the public permit processing center and over the phone regarding routine questions about ordinances and codes, permit application process and procedures; assists the public in completing applications and other necessary forms; receives and reviews permit documents and other pertinent information at the public permit processing center in order to verify accuracy and completeness of information; determines permit, plans, and processes requirements for prospective applicants; reviews plans and permit applications for compliance with established codes, ordinances, policies, and procedures; processes permit applications and plan intake; uses architectural and engineering scales to determine dimensions and calculate areas and percentage; calculates a variety of fees for plan check, permits, and other development impact fees and determines construction valuations based on established standards; and performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Two (2) years of paid, full-time equivalent experience involving extensive public contact working in a building, planning, and/or construction environment, with at least six (6) months of the required two (2) years of experience in computerized permit application processing;
Completion of nine (9) or more college semester units (proof required)* or their equivalent in planning, building inspection technology, engineering, architecture, code enforcement, fire science technology, or a closely related field (proof required*); AND one (1) year of clerical and/or technical paid, full-time equivalent experience involving extensive public contact, in a building, planning, and/or construction environment with at least six (6) months of the required one (1) year experience in computerized permit applications processing.
Prior to passing probation (typically 1044 hours), must obtain a Permit Technician certification from the International Code Council (ICC).
- Principles and practices of permit application review;
- Familiarity with plans, codes, ordinances and related terminology, architectural drawing convention and what comprises a complete set of building plans;
- Process and procedures associated with permits;
- Records management practices;
- Customer service methods and techniques.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions and procedures;
- Learn quickly and apply departmental policies and procedures affecting the acceptance and review of permit applications and commonly used codes and ordinances;
- Understand the relationship between City zoning ordinances and building code requirements;
- Learn, retain, interpret and communicate technical and complex information, terminology, policies and procedures, including codes, ordinances, and regulations;
- Analyze and review permit applications;
- Perform basic math computations;
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Type or enter data accurately and at a speed necessary for successful job performance;
- Work effectively with a wide variety of people by consistently exercising tact, good judgment and a pro-active, problem-solving focused communication style;
- Maintain composure under stressful circumstances;
- Operate office equipment including computers, printers and copiers as well as the supporting word processing, spreadsheet, e-mail, and database applications;
- Maintain accurate records and files;
- Facilitate and problem-solve quickly and independently and/or as part of a team;
- Provide support to City and department staff.
*Required documents, such as transcripts or degree, must be uploaded to the application at the time of filing. Any proofs submitted must contain either the applicant’s name or other identifying characteristic on the form. Degree must indicate the field of study and transcripts must indicate field of study and degree conferred date. Candidates who possess degrees from colleges or universities from outside the United States must attach proof of educational equivalency at the time of filing.
- Bilingual language ability (Spanish, Khmer, or Tagalog) for some positions.
Application Packet ………………………………………..Qualifying
Occupational Written Exam ………………………………………….100%
A minimum rating of 70 must be attained in order to pass the examination. Certification by score bands will be considered based on analysis of exam results.
This is a continuous eligible list, which mean eligible lists may be established periodically and may expire six months from their effective date. Applicants may apply only once during a four(4) month period. Screening of applicants will be conducted on the basis of application and required supplemental application submitted. Based on the number of applications accepted, the selection procedure may be changed. In the event a revision is necessary, the affected persons will be notified.
To apply for this position, visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/longbeach/jobs/3082580/permit-technician-i-ii
If you have not received notification two (2) weeks after close filing period, please contact the Civil Service Department by dialing (562) 570-6202.