APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
Community Development Director
City of San Gabriel / San Gabriel, CA
Posted on: July 16, 2021
Application Deadline: 8/5/21 4 PM*
The City of San Gabriel is seeking an engaging and knowledgeable Community Development Director who embraces a hands-on approach, has a strong work ethic, is an exemplary leader, is tactful, and is astute. Qualities necessary for the position include:
- Leadership – one who leads by example, promotes collaboration and teamwork, and inspires organizational excellence.
- Judgement – one who has sound judgment and is able to make good decisions in highly complex and difficult situations.
- Communication – one who can accurately gauge an audience and effectively communicate in oral and written form.
- Customer Service – one who is driven to provide excellent customer service, is empathetic and understanding of customer concerns and needs, and is focused on achieving outstanding customer service outcomes.
- Public Service – one who has a strong desire and commitment to work in local government and seeks to make a positive impact on the community.
- Compassionate – one who has a sincere sense of compassion and understanding for others.
- Ethical – one who can manage and resolve difficult issues with integrity, fairness, and impartiality.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Economic Development – one who has experience and knowledge of marketing, branding and retail recruitment;
- Planning – one who has experience and knowledge of CEQA, planning and subdivision laws, updating general and specific plans, analyzing complex construction projects, and reviewing architectural plans;
- Building & Safety Services – one who has experience and knowledge of local building and safety codes, permitting processes, and compliance.
Additionally, the Community Development Director will need to have great appreciation and skill for working with a diverse community comprised of Asian/Pacific Islander, Anglo, Hispanic, and Native American populations.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities could be considered qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be a bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration, urban planning, civil engineering or a closely related field, with a master’s degree and advanced professional certifications highly desirable, plus seven years of increasingly responsible experience in municipal community development, with at least three of those years served in a supervisory capacity. Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) and proficiency in a second language such as Cantonese, Mandarin, Vietnamese, or Spanish is also desirable.
Candidates must complete a City of San Gabriel online application before closing. Applications must be thoroughly prepared and include the following three items as attachments: (1) cover letter directed to City Manager Mark Lazzaretto, (2) professional résumé, and (3) copies of all professional certifications applicable and/or required for the position. Failure to submit a thoroughly prepared application along with items 1-3 may be disqualifying. To apply, please visit jobs.sangabrielcity.com.
*The deadline for submitting applications is tentatively scheduled for August 5, 2021 at 4 pm. The City may close the application period sooner or later depending on the volume and quality of applications submitted.