APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mid-level Housing Planner
PlaceWorks / Los Angeles (or any PlaceWorks office location)
Posted on: July 20, 2021
Application Deadline: Open until Filled
PlaceWorks is seeking a full-time, mid-level planner to become part of the Housing team. The candidate selected for this position could be based in any of our office locations. We are looking for a planner with at least 3 – 6 years of professional planning experience, ideally with experience in housing, policy, and community outreach. The ideal candidate is creative, outgoing, self-starting, and passionate about helping shape and improve communities through their work. We work in a wide array of communities throughout California, and we encourage diverse candidates from non-traditional backgrounds to apply.
Working in a collaborative and casual work environment under the guidance of skilled project managers and other senior staff, this position will assist project teams by conducting research, report writing, analysis, and public outreach to contribute to the successful completion of projects at a variety of scales, often working concurrently on more than one project. Typical work of our team includes housing policy documents, assisting jurisdictions with accessing housing funds, assisting jurisdictions with administering housing programs, and implementing housing policy through zoning and other means. The Housing team has staff in several office locations throughout California. The person in this position would report to a Principal in our Sacramento office and work with other team members around the state.
You’re most likely a fit if:
- You love planning for the future of communities and making a difference with your work.
- You have experience working on and analyzing planning documents, including policy writing for housing element updates, housing element annual reports, zoning codes, and general plans.
- You have strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- You have excellent writing, formatting, and proofreading skills and are detail-oriented.
- Supporting authentic engagement with diverse communities excites you, and you’re willing to jump-in to help with outreach efforts. You may be asked to coordinate meetings, prepare and assemble materials/supplies, present, and/or facilitate discussions at workshops.
- You can support and be part of virtual engagement events through platforms like Zoom, Microsoft Teams, and similar.
- You’re able to attend and travel to client meetings and community workshops which may occur on weekday nights and weekends (when this can be done safely and is allowed under local health regulations).
- You have professional acumen to cultivate working relationships with clients, community-based organizations, and other firms.
- You’re a skilled researcher and enjoy analyzing and compiling research and data as required by a project.
- Time management is second nature and you can produce final project documents and products by stated deadlines. You can work effectively on multiple projects at once.
- You’re interested in assisting with marketing, business development, and proposal efforts for planning work.
- You are experienced and proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat and In-Design, and Geographic Information System Mapping.
- You have a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in urban or regional planning, or closely related field.
- You have a current and valid driver’s license, proof of automobile insurance, and acceptable MVR to drive on Company business for performing site visits and attending meetings.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
See Job Description.
To apply, please visit our website at: http://placeworks.com/join-our-team/job-76/.