APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Parking, Curb, and Transportation Demand Management (TDM) Planner
NelsonNygaard Consulting Associates / Oakland or San Francisco
Posted on: November 19, 2021
Application Deadline: December 3, 2021
NelsonNygaard Consulting Associates seeks a highly organized, independent, and motivated Senior Associate or Principal for its Bay Area (Oakland / San Francisco) office. The desired candidate will have at least seven years’ experience and a track record leading small and large-scale parking, curb, and/or TDM projects and proposal efforts for both public and private sector clients.
NelsonNygaard develops sustainable transportation solutions for people. Our work emphasizes creative, innovative transportation planning, and community involvement, often within a wider set of goals such as economic development and reduced dependence on the private automobile. NelsonNygaard offers a dynamic and self-directed work environment that is fast-paced, congenial, and supportive. This is your opportunity to work with one of the most innovative groups of planners and engineers in the United States, including highly talented junior and support staff. Our office culture is built upon diversity and creativity.
For over 30 years, we have led the transportation planning field with our values and innovation. For all that time, we have been guided by the principle of putting people first—designing transportation systems for people, not just cars. This principle also extends to how we operate as a firm internally. We were founded by two women who believed in the benefits of a more egalitarian workplace, where leadership and innovation could blossom at all levels and where diversity was a core strength. We are 120 talented and dedicated people in nine offices across the country; what unites us at NelsonNygaard is the belief that transportation can change the world and ceaseless drive to make the world more just, more sustainable, more connected, more beautiful.
Our Bay Area PTDM Senior Associate or Principal will manage projects and proposal efforts, and contribute to staff management, business development activities, client relationship building and strategic planning. Projects will include a wide range of TDM studies and plans, including municipal TDM strategic planning and policy, employer TDM, parking and VMT reduction plans for new developments, shared parking analyses, and parking strategies. Candidates with additional transportation planning skillsets (such as TOD planning, active transportation, transit planning, curb management, emerging mobility or our other focus areas) that bring a diverse project portfolio are encouraged. Experience with engineering and planning for property development and navigating the development review process in California is highly applicable to this role.
Projects would be located primarily in California but there could be some minor travel (when safe and appropriate). You will work closely with NelsonNygaard’s Bay Area office staff, California TDM and parking staff, and with staff in offices throughout the country. Our approach is to bring the most appropriate staff together, irrespective of where they are based, as collaboration across offices produces better outcomes and staff growth.
The annual salary range equivalent for this position is industry competitive, depending on qualifications and years of experience. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, pre-tax transit and bicycling benefit, a 401k program, life insurance and paid time off. Additionally, we offer flexibility for work from home up to 3 days per week.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
The ideal candidate should have a strong core focus in TDM and parking planning but may also have a broad range of transportation and urban planning experience. The candidate should be able to demonstrate excellent written and verbal skills; the ability to manage projects within budget; establish, maintain and build client relationships; work successfully with clients, members of the public and your team members; prepare reports and successful proposals; perform technical analysis and feasibility studies; make presentations; and solve problems.
The ideal candidate should have a broad range of transportation and urban planning experience, as well as specific, demonstrated experience in TDM and strategic parking management plans. A successful candidate should be able to demonstrate significant expertise in at least three of the following areas:
- Parking and TDM programs, policies, and best practices that reduce single-occupant vehicle (SOV) travel
- Parking and TDM plans for new developments or large employers
Curb management strategies
- Existing and emerging parking and TDM technology tools and applications
- TDM implementation and program administration, such as TDM/mobility coordinator
- Parking and TDM-related outreach, marketing, and/or promotion
- Campus (academic, institutional, corporate, medical) transportation planning
- Management of parking studies, ranging from individual sites to large, mixed-use downtowns
- Design and management of parking data collection and analysis (i.e. inventory, utilization, and turnover)
- Parking demand analysis at site-specific and area-wide levels, including familiarity with shared parking analysis and modeling
- Parking and TDM zoning code assessment and ability to rewrite code language
- Parking operations, management, enforcement, and/or finance
- Parking facility design and engineering
- Other transportation planning expertise, such as: active transportation, transit planning, paratransit, street design and engineering, traffic modeling, funding or finance, strategic planning, or other.
Candidates should meet the following requirements:
- At least seven years of responsible experience in transportation planning, parking and TDM planning, curb management, or traffic engineering.
- A bachelor’s or more advanced degree in urban or transportation planning, or a related planning field. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Skills and enthusiasm for business development.
- Excellent written, verbal, and other communication skills, including facilitating public workshops.
- The ability to manage complex projects on time and on budget.
- The ability to organize, supervise, and analyze a wide range of transportation data and complete (directly or manage the completion of) technical analysis, feasibility studies, or other transportation reports.
- Demonstrate advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Additional experience with GIS, Graphic (InDesign, Illustrator, SketchUp), Modeling (Synchro, VISSIM, TransCAD) or database and statistical analysis.
- Above all, we are looking for someone who has a passion for sustainable transportation planning and is interested in making communities better for our clients and their constituents.
To apply, please visit the following link and click “Apply Now” https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/PER1007PWILL/JobBoard/b9e0921b-1230-465f-9436-edd64e872518/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=5059b672-e198-4977-a2cd-ea48ceac4b01
Qualified and interested candidates must submit the following items:
- Cover letter
- Work samples that highlight your skills. Please do not exceed 6 MB.
At NelsonNygaard we believe that inclusion spurs creativity, and that innovation is born from an engaged culture of diverse people and ideas. By moving beyond barriers and stereotypes of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, medical condition, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, and veteran status, we are committed to building an organization that reflects the diversity of the communities and clients we serve. We strongly encourage applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC), immigrants, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and members of ethnic minorities.
The safety of all employees is a priority during COVID and we presently require everyone to be fully vaccinated to enter our offices. No waiver of requirement that the position advertised includes the capacity to be present in the office is expressly or impliedly waived.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)