APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
City of El Segundo / El Segundo
Posted on: December 29, 2021
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The Ideal Candidate:
The City of El Segundo is seeking an action-oriented, engaging, and proactive Planning Technician. The ideal candidate must be able to communicate clearly and concisely to the public, both orally and in writing; communicate effectively with a variety of personnel and establish/ maintain effective working relationships. The ideal candidate is collaborative, inclusive, possesses excellent time management/problem solving skills, and is committed to exceptional customer services for both internal and external customers. The individual will bring a positive attitude, and exercise thoughtful decision making, while providing a high level of integrity, keep composed in all settings, and works well with customers of all types.
Under limited supervision, provides technical-related staff support to the planning function and activities.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following duties and responsibilities, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of duties and responsibilities is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds to public inquiries at the counter, on the telephone and in writing regarding zoning code, code enforcement, permitted uses, current development projects and the like.
- Performs plan checks for zoning code compliance and reviews and approves designated permit applications; assesses fees; establishes conditions for permit approval to comply with relevant laws, ordinances, regulations and City policies; performs final field inspections to ensure compliance.
- Receives and evaluates variance, conditional use permit and related applications; ensures application packages are complete; prepares staff reports and resolutions and presents applications at Planning Commission meetings.
- Receives complaints regarding zoning, noise, odor and other designated municipal code violations; conducts building permit and related preliminary research and establishes complaint file; prepares documentation for use by compliance officers and/or the City Attorney; maintains records on case status, disposition and related activity and prepares reports.
- Prepares abatement letters; conducts follow-up procedures including preparation of correspondence, site visits, communications with complainants, attorneys and property owners; gathers and summarizes case materials and prepares cases for legal action; appears in Court to present testimony.
- Assists with current and long range planning projects and activities including research, compilation of information, inspections, and preparation of special reports related to general planning work; assists in preparing maps and charts.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Characteristics:
- Planning, environmental, zoning, building inspection, and safety laws and concepts.
- Site planning and planning-related information sources and research techniques.
- Interpreting, applying and explaining laws, ordinances, rules, regulations and/or policies and procedures.
- Researching, gathering and evaluating information and preparing written reports.
- Reading and interpreting maps, plans and legal descriptions.
- Communicating effectively both orally and in writing.
- Dealing constructively with conflict and developing effective resolutions.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other department staff, other City employees and the public.
- Occasional exposure to weather conditions.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Graduation from an accredited college or university with major coursework in planning, architecture, environmental design, landscape architecture or a related field; and one (1) year of planning-related work experience, including some experience in municipal code enforcement activities, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Application and Selection Process
TO APPLY: Each applicant must submit a City of El Segundo Employment Application, attach a copy of your transcripts or Degree(s) earned to the electronic application, and respond to the Supplemental Qualifications Questionnaire ONLINE by the final filing date. Failure to attach a copy of your transcripts or Degree(s) earned, submit the online Employment Application, and respond to the Supplemental Qualifications Questionnaire will disqualify the candidate from further consideration. Please fill out the online Employment Application completely (including places of employment with complete addresses; i.e., number and street name, city and state, names of supervisors with telephone numbers, etc.). INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE SUBJECT TO REJECTION.
This recruitment process is open on a continuous basis and may close at any time. Interested individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. The first review of applications will be completed on Tuesday, January 11, 2022 at 4:00 p.m. or when 150 applications have been received, whichever occurs first. Applications received after January 11, 2022, may not be considered. Applicants appearing best qualified based upon a review of the application and responses to supplemental questions will be invited to participate in the testing process.