APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI) / Los Angeles
Posted on: June 16, 2022
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Kounkuey Design Initiative (KDI) is a collective of diverse urbanists—architects, landscape architects, urban planners, community organizers, and engineers— united by our shared commitment to building equity, justice, and resilience in communities through design. A BIPOC- and woman-led firm founded in 2006, KDI comprises 50 professionals working from four offices: Los Angeles, Eastern Coachella Valley, Nairobi, and Stockholm.
KDI is seeking a Planning coordinator to add to our growing team of 20+ staff in Los Angeles, CA. This is a great opportunity for a creative, highly motivated recent graduate or early career professional to work directly with people in under-resourced communities to advance equity and support community-driven development. The position is based in our downtown Los Angeles office, and may involve travel to our projects in the Eastern Coachella Valley (ECV), other areas of California, and other cities across the U.S. The Planning coordinator will work closely with the Planning, Design, and Community teams, local low-income communities of color, government officials, and other stakeholders to support a wide range of projects and topics, such as:
- Equity-focused site development and neighborhood master planning in L.A. and in cities across the country
- Participatory design and temporary activation of public spaces, from vacant lots to large parks
- Economic and social development programs, such as two womens’ food collectives we have helped organize in the ECV
- Gender equity in planning and design
- Leadership development / capacity building for residents in under-resourced communities on improving the built environment
- Research on topics such as green schoolyards and climate change adaptation in low-income communities of color
The Planning Coordinator will conduct the following tasks with the support and guidance of project teams:
- Conceptualize, design, and produce community engagement materials and activities
- Work with community partners to coordinate and execute engagement activities. Activities may occasionally occur during evenings and weekends.
- Create presentations and graphic materials representing engagement process and findings or other information for internal and external audiences
- Collect, process, analyze, and visualize data
- Conduct desk and field research related to site and community, best practices, precedent projects/programs, or other focus areas
- Report writing
- Support with project management activities such as managing expenses, preparing meeting materials, among othersSupport with other activities as needed
Required Experience / Skills / Education
- Master’s degree in Urban Planning or related field
- 1-3 years experience in community development, policy advocacy, economic development, urban planning, or related field
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds
- Experience meeting deadlines, juggling multiple tasks, and taking initiative to solve problems
- Experience with visual representation (e.g. graphic design, maps, diagrams, sketches, etc.)
- Experience conducting research and analyzing data
- Strong commitment to social justice
- Fluent in Spanish (verbal and written) preferred
- Driver’s license required
How to Apply
Send electronic copy of cover letter, resume, writing sample, three references, and up to five images of visual representation (e.g. GIS mapping, images from final presentation boards or reports, hand drawn sketches, etc.) to: LAJobs@kounkuey.org Subject heading: Planning coordinator: Your Name
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status or medical condition. We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.