APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
City of Cerritos / Cerritos, CA
Posted on: May 18, 2023
Application Deadline: 6/2/2023 5:00 PM Pacific
Under direction, the selected individual will perform entry-level tasks relating to urban planning, community design, graphic design and related planning counter work, as well as other duties as necessary.
Job Characteristic: May work a varying schedule of hours which may include early mornings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Examples of Duties
- Assist staff in preparing exhibits for Planning Commission, City Council and other staff members.
- Assist staff in investigating complaints and other special planning related situations in the field; perform measurements and observations as necessary.
- Provide department counter coverage and answer telephone inquiries and questions from the general public, developers and contractors regarding planning, zoning and other municipal code requirements.
- Update maps and other planning documents as directed.
- Assist staff in preparing letters and small reports under supervision.
- Photocopy blueprints, exhibits and reports as necessary.
- Pick up and deliver plans, reports and other documents as necessary.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
- Landscape architecture.
- Architectural design.
- Principles of Public Administration.
- Principles and practices of City Planning.
- Computer graphic design software programs such as PhotoShop and PowerPoint.
- Prepare reports and data in written and graphic form.
- Perform research and compile statistical information.
- Draft plans and sketches.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with other City employees, other agencies and the general public.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in an office environment and requires sitting for prolonged periods of time. An incumbent stands, walks, and may twist, reach, bend, crouch and kneel. A Planning Intern may also grasp, push, pull, drag and lift boxes of files and other office items weighing up to 30 pounds. An incumbent must be able to meet the physical requirements of the class and have mobility, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the duties to be performed.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities. A typical way to obtain these would be: Senior or graduate level student at a college or university majoring in planning, architecture, urban design or a related field. The individual should have the ability to read and interpret civil engineering and architectural drawings and maps, and Municipal Code requirements related to same, prepare graphic materials, compile data, interact with and assist the public in a professional setting; and be capable of research, analysis and report writing.
A valid California Driver’s License is required.
Please apply at: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofcerritos/jobs/4023432/planning-intern