APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact email@example.com.
City of La Quinta / La Quinta, CA
Posted on: May 19, 2023
Application Deadline: 06/02/2023 @5:00 PM PT
The Senior Planner position is the right position for you if:
- Are a self-starter and able to work independently
- Are a strong communicator
- Are able to build a successful and collaborative relationships across departments and with community partners
This position is the fourth level in a four-level Management Administration Series focused on advanced journey level responsibilities. Incumbents are involved with the highest-level analysis work associated, as assigned, with designated City management functions or programs. Positions assigned to this classification are responsible for more complex work products and more complex project management and/or program administration/oversight. As assigned, incumbents may supervise staff, including conducting performance evaluations, coordinating training, and implementing hiring, discipline, and termination procedures.
Example of Duties
- Analyzing complex planning, zoning, and development issues and developing recommendations;
- Preparing and presenting a variety of oral reports and recommendations for projects at public and commission hearings;
- Meeting with developers, customers, and other department representatives regarding proposed or contemplated projects
- Researching, reviewing, and analyzing complex environmental, social, and economic data related to planning, community development, and land use activities.
- Leads meetings with internal and external customers and stakeholders regarding projects or to address complaints and concerns escalated to a higher staff level.
- Prepares and administers contracts and consultant or franchise agreements, approves billing, ensures service levels and contractual/franchise expectations are met.
- Conducts comprehensive research, keeps abreast of changes in assigned field, performs complex, detailed analyses.
- Prepares and presents complex plans, programs, and technical reports including staff reports for the City Council or Commissions; coordinates/reviews/approves staff input into plans, programs and reports.
- Prepares and monitors budgets and related documents, prepares and manages project schedules, oversees day-today program or staff activities.
- As assigned, supervises staff to includes: prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff are trained; ensuring that employees follow policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and making hiring, termination and disciplinary recommendations.
- Assists in the development of standards, ordinances, regulations, policies and procedures; interprets same.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
Bachelor’s Degree and, as assigned, four (4) years experience related to the area of assignment or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
• Supervisory principles;
• Budgetary principles;
• Geographic Information Systems software;
• Applicable local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations;
• Project management methods including leading cross-functional teams;
• Contract administration and performance monitoring;
• Program development, administration and evaluation principles;
• Research methods, statistical analysis, program analysis and report preparation;
• Organizational structure of the city and city services as they relate to area of assignment;
• Operating modern office equipment;
• Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with subordinates, coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information, evaluate performance and provide and/or receive work direction.
• Principles of land use planning and development; and
• Demographic, environmental, social, economic and land use concepts.
• Advanced research and critical thinking;
• Analysis and problem-solving;
• Influencing the organization across multiple levels;
• Mathematical computations;
• Negotiation and conflict resolution;
• Supervising and evaluating employees;
• Prioritizing and assigning work;
• Preparing written reports of high complexity and keeping accurate records;
• Operating a computer and applicable software applications;
• Applying local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations;
• Customer service; and
• Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
The City of La Quinta is excited to announce an opening for a Senior Planner in the Design & Development Department. For more information on the job description and to apply please click here.