APA Los Angeles provides this job bank as a free service. Add a job posting. Submissions are subject to review for relevance to the planning community and will be published upon approval.
After you submit your job posting through the above form, consider browsing the APA Los Angeles resume book for potential hires. The resume book allows job-seeking planners to showcase their work histories and professional skills to prospective employers. If you would like to request access to the resume book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Zoning Administrator Officer
City of Long Beach / City of Long Beach – City Hall
Posted on: September 7, 2023
Application Deadline: 08/31/2023 – 9/30/2023
THE POSITION –
Under general direction of the Planning Bureau Manager, the Zoning Administrator will develop and oversee the newly established Zoning Administration Division and will be responsible for overseeing the operation of the Zoning Administration Division by providing day-to-day direction to and supervision of the professional and support staff within the division. The new Zoning Administration division is being established due to increased volume of Zoning Administrator level hearings and proceedings in part due to the City’s strategy for implementing its recent General Plan update and ongoing zoning code overhaul to modernize and streamline development review processes in alignment with city development goals and policies. The successful candidate will be a highly organized professional who is familiar with zoning ordinances, general plan implementation, coastal development requirements, site plan and design review, public service counter operations, building permit processes and planning permit procedures. This individual will be committed to transparency and implementing best practices for public participation.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES –
This position will:
- Oversees the Zoning Administration division comprised of professional planning staff who implement and interpret the zoning code.
- Acts as the Zoning Administrator at noticed bi-monthly public hearings.
- Oversees Zoning Administration functions within the Permit Center including plan check services and business license review, in coordination the Building & Safety Bureau and with other City departments such as Public Works and Financial Management.
- Oversees review of quasi-ministerial entitlements such as for wireless telecommunications
- Collaborates with the Code Enforcement Bureau on enforcement of zoning regulations.
- Develops and implements processes and procedures, training materials and training modules for planning staff who administer and interpret the zoning code.
- Identifies deficiencies with the zoning code and oversees development and adoption of changes to the Zoning Code in collaboration with the Advance Planning division.
- Improves systems for zoning review and counter operations including through development of new service delivery methods and by participating in developing, selecting and implementing a replacement software system for the current land management system (Infor).
- Participates in hiring, onboarding, training and coaching professional planning and support staff for the Planning Bureau.
- Collaborates with the other Current Planning Officer (Entitlements Manager) on implementation of records management practices and procedures.
Provide information and answer questions from the public regarding zone designations (Zoning Maps), permitted land uses, setbacks, density, height limits, lot coverage, open space, and other requirements and processes.
- Provide professional recommendations and information support to the City Council, Planning Commission and City Management. Interpret provisions of the City’s zoning ordinance and associated state and federal regulations for staff, City Council, Planning Commission, developers and the public.
- Occasionally attend and staff Planning Commission meetings, attend City Council meetings and community meetings as necessary.
Required Experience / Skills / Education
REQUIREMENTS TO FILE
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS –
- Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor’s degree in planning, Public Administration, or a closely related field. Candidates may substitute experience offering specific and substantial preparation for the duties of the position for the required education on a year for year basis
- Five years of increasingly responsible full-time experience with zoning administration.
- At least one year of experience in a lead capacity/supervisory role leading professional staff involved in planning and zoning activities.
- A valid Class C driver’s license and proof of auto insurance are required. Position may be called to work occasional evening meetings.
The job posting can be found here.