SoCalGas® to Award $150K in Planning Grants to Support Climate Adaptation and Resiliency.
Weather related natural disasters, from the Napa Valley fires to the mudslides in Montecito, have highlighted the critical importance of community hazard mitigation planning. We understand that with climate change, these extreme weather events are only going to increase in intensity and frequency. To assist local governments in planning for these events, SoCalGas® is initiating the Climate Adaptation and Resiliency Planning Grant Program.
In 2020, the shareholder-funded initiative will invest $150,000 to support local planning efforts to help prepare for and recover from climate change risks, such as extreme heat, wildfires, drought, subsidence, sea level rise, flooding and mudslides.
SoCalGas will award three grants of $50,000 through a competitive process. An advisory panel of planning and sustainability experts will select the winning applications from across Southern and Central California. Local governments that are participating in vulnerability assessments, climate adaptation and resiliency plans, or updating their local hazard mitigation plans to address climate adaptation through their General Plan process are eligible to apply.
Grant proposals will be assessed according to the following criteria:
- DISADVANTAGED COMMUNITIES: SoCalGas encourages applicants to address vulnerabilities in disadvantaged communities
- COLLABORATION: the extent to which the grant proposal reflects coordination and partnerships with a diverse range of stakeholders (energy/water utilities, transportation, housing, etc.)
- CO-BENEFITS: identify potential co-benefits of the adaptation work, such as benefits to public health, air quality, reductions in greenhouse gas emissions, and the economy
- Project Description (Briefly summarize the project)
- Project Justification (Define the issues the project is attempting to address and how the project will provide a solution)
- Grant Specific Objective (Describe how the proposed project meets the grant’s criteria)
- Scope of Work, Projected Costs, and Project Timelines
More information can be found here: https://www.socalgas.com/