APA California Seeks Membership Programs Manager – Paid Contract Position
The California Chapter of the American Planning Association, a 501(c)(6) membership organization serving professional private sector and public agency planners and planning academics and students in California, is seeking a consultant to manage specific member programming and communications on apart-time basis. APA California is a dynamic and growing organization at the forefront of the planning profession, with more than 7,000 members, a professional Board of Directors, and several contracted support staff.Thisposition will alsobe an independent contract position to APA California and will support the Board through activities including,but not limited to, the following. Hourly compensation will be based on experience.
Distance Learning Program
- Primary responsibility to work with Chapter Board in expanding the distance learning program as a means to further serve our membership.
- Research on-line distance learning platforms and functions/capacity/costs/etc. Review other similar association programs including National APA and other State Chapters.
- Propose alternative platforms and functionality and facilitate input from Chapter Board.
Assist with implementation of distance learning program including on-line programming, test runs, and data analytics collection and dissemination.
- Work with Chapter Sections to learn of their distance learning needs and coordinate potential joint use and sharing of learning program.
- Develop revenue capture strategies from on-line distance learning (e.g. user fees – individual vs. group rates, sponsorship, advertising).
- Work with Chapter Board Membership to develop membership outreach plan.
- Coordinate Section and Chapter communications, including press releases and announcements.
- Support participating sections with membership communications, including targeted emails and event follow-up.
- Support participating sections with developing member activities, including planning,preparation, and venue/vendor coordination.
- Seek revenue opportunities to obtain additional funding for Chapter activities.
- Facilitate and/or prepare grants from various entities including private and public sources (non-profits, for profits, local, state and federal governments).
- Research additional revenue enhancement strategies – in-kind,partnerships, fundraising, user fee based programs, advertising, etc.
- Develop strategic sponsorship package that could be multi-year, multi-program oriented.
- Assist in marketing tasks as needed.
- Planning knowledge
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to coordinate events and people
- Understanding of social media and on-line learning platforms
- Work independently and remotely
- Treat sensitive matters with confidentiality
- Anticipate and resolve problems on own initiative
- Manage multiple tasks with conflicting deadlines
- Pay close attention to detail
Submit cover letter, resume & three professional references to the APA California Chapter President, Julia Lave Johnston at APACApresident@gmail.com. Please include Program Position Application in the subject line.