Participating in APA Los Angeles as a member of our Board of Directors or its committees is a great way to get involved in the local planning community, network with other planning professionals, and give back to the profession. We have exciting plans for 2022 and hope you will consider contributing your time and talents to one of APA’s largest, most active sections nationwide.
The Los Angeles Section of the American Planning Association is one of eight local sections of APA’s California Chapter, with nearly 1,600 members in Los Angeles County. APA Los Angeles helps its members share knowledge, advance their careers, and guide change in both the profession and our communities.
There are three ways to get involved (see position descriptions below):
- Elected positions – two-year terms
- Appointed positions – one-year terms
- Committee members – one-year commitment requested
All Board and committee members are expected to:
- Attend one meeting per month – the Board meets on 3rd Wednesdays of odd months and committees meet in even months
- Spend additional time as needed to fulfill their duties, which vary by position
- Live or work in Los Angeles County
- Be APA members, or become members before their terms begin (free or discounted first-time, Chapter-only, and student memberships are available)
Be more engaged with your profession in 2022
To nominate yourself for a Board position or volunteer for a committee, please fill out the Nomination Form. Candidates for elected positions should include a statement of interest not to exceed 500 words and candidates for appointed positions should include a statement of interest not to exceed 250 words.
- 10/27: Nominations open and Virtual recruitment mixer
- 11/19: Extended Deadline for Nominations
- 11/21-12/11: Online voting open
- 12/15: Board certification of election results
- 12/17 – 12/23: Elected and appointed officers notified
- 1/03: 2022 Board announced
If you have any questions regarding the positions or the selection process, please contact Tony Mendoza, Section Director, at email@example.com.
A summary description of open positions is described below. For detailed descriptions, please refer to our bylaws.
APA Los Angeles is seeking candidates for the following elected positions, to be selected by a vote among Section members and certified by the Board. Successful candidates will serve for two years beginning January 1, 2022.
- The Vice Director for Finance is knowledgeable in accounting procedures, including posting debits and credits into accounting software, balancing accounts and reconciling statements. This Vice Director prepares the annual Section budget of each office and submits finance reports on a quarterly basis for Board and also Chapter approval.
- The Vice Director of Communications prepares, edits, and publishes the Section newsletter, supervises editorial programs, media, advertising, and Communications Committee. Along with the Section Director, establish and nurture relationships between the Section, media and related organizations.
- The Vice Director for Membership promotes APA membership and develops programs to influence membership recruitment, retention, and expansion. This Vice Director welcomes new members, presents an annual membership report, and chairs the Membership & Inclusion Committee.
- The Vice Director At-Large (Awards), along with another Vice Director At-Large, directs the Section’s annual Awards Program and gala, coordinates award submittals for the California Chapter Awards, and chairs the Awards Committee. This Vice Director also assists with the development and implementation of special projects and activities of the Section Board.
- The Vice Director for Professional Development, along with another Vice Director of Professional Development, develops seminars and symposia for members’ professional development. This Vice Director also coordinates training for members preparing to take the AICP exam and assists the Board with the administration of CM credits. Candidates must be members in good standing of AICP.
- The Vice Director for Programs, along with another Vice Director of Programs, is responsible for developing, recommending, and maintaining an annual calendar of general programs. This Vice Director makes and coordinates arrangements to carry out Section programs and events, and co-chairs the Programs & Professional Development Committee.
Appointed Positions (1-year terms)
APA Los Angeles is seeking nominations for the following appointed positions for the 2022 term. Each of these positions will be appointed by the Section Director and will serve for one year beginning January 1, 2022.
- The Equity Director prioritizes, promotes, and recruits members to ensure inclusivity and diversity among the Section membership. This Director develops and implements diversity-oriented events and programs, and promotes topics, formats, and venues that diversify Section activities and content.
- The Marketing & Sponsorship Director administers a sponsorship and advertising program to recruit financial and in-kind support of Section activities. This Director continues relationships with existing sponsor organizations and identifies opportunities for further engagement.
- The Commissioner Representative develops affirmative programs to increase participation of planning commissioners in APA and their attendance at workshops, seminars and conferences. The position maintains a working relationship with the Chapter Planning Commission Representative. The liaison must be a member of a public board for a public agency in California when appointed.
- The Social Media Director promotes Section events and announcements on social media. They also share general planning-related content on social media and develop social media campaigns highlighting aspects of Board activities and planning in Los Angeles.
- The University Liaison maintains relationships with planning schools and programs and their students, faculty, and Student Representatives. The University Liaison assists the Vice Director for Membership in obtaining student and faculty membership, representation, and involvement.
- The Web Director regularly updates the Section website with event information and
announcements, and works with the Vice Director of Communications to populate the website with blog posts and feature articles. The Web Director ensures that information is available and up-to-date, and assists with marketing campaigns and other communications duties.
- The Young & Emerging Planners Directors (two positions) recommend, develop, and promote an annual calendar of programs that meet the educational and social needs of Section members with less than 10 years of experience in the field. These co-directors supervise the Young & Emerging Planners Committee, maintain a working relationship with the Chapter Young Planners Coordinator, and represent emerging planners’ interests and concerns before the Board.
APA Los Angeles is also seeking volunteers for the following committees to serve at will for 2022. Any interested member of APA may join the committee of their choice. A one-year commitment is requested.
- Awards Committee members assist the Vice Directors at Large (Awards) in coordinating the Section’s annual awards program and gala, held annually in June.
- Communications Committee members assist the Vice-Director of Communications, Social Media Director, Marketing Director, Web Director, and Section Historian/CPF Liaison to coordinate Section media, engage in partnerships, and promote Section activities.
- Membership & Inclusion Committee members assist the Vice Director for Membership, Diversity & Inclusion Director, Commissioner Representative, and University Liaison in influencing membership retention and expansion, and in developing affirmative programs to recruit and support a diverse membership.
- Programs & Professional Development Committee members assist the Vice Directors of Programs and Vice Directors of Professional Development in the planning and implementing of general programming, and developing workshops and training for members’ professional development.
- Young & Emerging Planners Committee members assist the Young & Emerging Planners Directors in the development of programs that meet the educational and social needs of Section members with less than 10 years of experience in the field.