We are thrilled to extend heartfelt congratulations to the 2021 state planning awards recipients, particularly planners and projects within our APA Los Angeles Section! Awards of Excellence and Awards of Merit were selected by a jury of our peers representing different fields of planning and different locations throughout the state. Awards were granted in various categories such as comprehensive planning, public outreach, economic development, transportation planning, advancing diversity, and hard-won victories. Submittals for state awards were first evaluated by the local Sections for their respective awards, making them quite exceptional!
We invite you to join us for the state awards ceremony during the annual Chapter conference this September, where we will recognize and celebrate the best in California planning. The purpose of the APA California Awards Program is to encourage quality in planning and increase the public’s awareness of the planning profession by recognizing outstanding achievement in the planning field.
Awards of Excellence within the APA Los Angeles Section
· Opportunity and Empowerment Award — West Athens-Westmont 10-Minute Walk Campaign
· Planning Advocate Award — John Jones III President and Co-Founder of East Side Riders Bike Club
· Hard-Won Victories Award — City of Long Beach – Southeast Area Specific Plan
Award of Merit within the APA Los Angeles Section
· Advancing Diversity and Social Change in Honor of Paul Davidoff Award — City of Long Beach Racial Equity & Reconciliation Initiative
Planning Pioneer Award within the APA Los Angeles Section
· Martin Wachs, UCLA Institute of Transportation Studies
Thank you to everyone who submitted an application!
Derek Wong, AICP, VP Administration
Susie Kuo, Awards Coordinator (North)
Geoff Danker, AICP, Awards Coordinator (South)