Join the APA Los Angeles Board of Directors or a Committee!
Nominations Due Monday, October 30, 2023
Participating in APA Los Angeles as a member of our Board of Directors or its committees is a great way to get involved in the local planning community, network with other planning professionals, and give back to the profession. We have exciting plans for 2024 and hope you will consider contributing your time and talents to one of APA’s largest, most active sections nationwide!
The Los Angeles Section of the American Planning Association is one of eight local sections of APA’s California Chapter, with more than 1,500 members in Los Angeles County. APA Los Angeles helps its members share knowledge, advance their careers, and guide change in both the profession and our communities.
There are three ways to get involved (see position descriptions below):
- Elected (executive) positions – two-year terms
- Appointed positions – one-year terms
- Committee members – one-year commitment requested
All Board and committee members are expected to:
- Attend one meeting per month – the Board meets on 3rd Wednesdays of odd months and committees meet in even months (dates subject to change)
- Spend additional time as needed to fulfill their duties, which vary by position
- Live or work in Los Angeles County
- Be APA members, or become members before their terms begin (free or discounted first-time, Chapter-only, and student memberships are available)
Be more engaged with your profession in 2024!
To nominate yourself for a Board position or volunteer for a committee, please fill out the Nomination Form. Candidates for elected or appointed positions should include a statement of interest not to exceed 500 words for elected positions and 250 words for appointed positions.
- 10/30: Deadline for Nominations
- 11/03-11/26: Online voting open
- 12/06: Board certification of election results
- 12/07-12/19 : Winning candidates and appointees notified
- 12/20: 2024 Board announced!
Should you have any questions regarding the positions or the selection process, please contact Fern Nueno, Section Director, at email@example.com.
For detailed duties of each position, please refer to our bylaws.
Elected Positions (2-year terms)
APA Los Angeles is seeking candidates for the following elected positions, to be selected by a vote among Section members and certified by the Board. Successful candidates will serve for two years beginning January 1, 2024.
- The Vice Director of Finance is knowledgeable in accounting procedures, including posting debits and credits into accounting software, balancing accounts, and reconciling statements. This Vice Director prepares the annual Section budget of each office and submits finance reports on a quarterly basis for Board and Chapter approval.
- The Vice Director of Membership promotes APA membership and develops programs to influence membership recruitment, retention, and expansion. This Vice Director welcomes new members, presents an annual membership report, and chairs the Membership & Inclusion Committee.
- The Vice Director of Communications prepares, edits, and publishes the Section newsletter, and oversees editorial programs, media, advertising, and the Communications Committee. Along with the Section Director, this Vice Director establishes and nurtures relationships between the Section, media, and related organizations.
- The Vice Director At-Large (Awards), along with another Vice Director At-Large, directs the Section’s annual Awards Program and gala, coordinates award submittals for the California Chapter Awards, and chairs the Awards Committee. This Vice Director also assists with the development and implementation of special projects and activities of the Section Board.
- The Vice Director of Professional Development, along with another Vice Director of Professional Development, develops seminars and symposia for members’ professional development. This Vice Director also coordinates training for members preparing to take the AICP exam and assists the Board with the administration of CM credits. Candidates must be members in good standing of AICP.
- The Vice Director of Programs, along with another Vice Director of Programs, is responsible for developing, recommending, and maintaining an annual calendar of general programs. This Vice Director makes and coordinates arrangements to carry out Section programs and events, and chairs the Programs & Professional Development Committee.
Appointed Positions (1-year terms)
APA Los Angeles is seeking nominations for the following appointed positions for the 2024 term. Each of these positions will be appointed by the Section Director, and will serve for one year beginning January 1, 2024.
- The Commissioner Representative develops affirmative programs to increase participation of planning commissioners in APA and their attendance at workshops, seminars, and conferences. The position maintains a working relationship with the Chapter Commission & Board Representative. The Representative must be a member of a public board for a public agency in California when appointed.
- The Equity Director prioritizes, promotes, and recruits members to ensure inclusivity and diversity among the Section membership. This Director develops and implements diversity-oriented events and programs, and promotes topics, formats, and venues that diversify Section activities and content.
- The Marketing & Sponsorship Director administers a sponsorship and advertising program to recruit financial and in-kind support of Section activities. This Director continues relationships with existing sponsor organizations and identifies opportunities for further engagement.
- The Social Media Director promotes Section events and announcements on social media. This Director also shares general planning-related content on social media and develops social media campaigns highlighting aspects of Board activities and planning in Los Angeles County.
- The University Liaison maintains relationships with planning schools and programs and their students, faculty, and Student Representatives. The University Liaison assists the Vice Director of Membership in obtaining student and faculty membership, representation, and involvement.
- The Web Director regularly updates the Section website with event information and
announcements, and works with the Vice Director for Communications to populate the website with blog posts and feature articles. The Web Director ensures that information is available and up-to-date, and assists with marketing campaigns and other communications duties.
- The Young & Emerging Planners Co-Directors (two positions) recommend, develop, and promote an annual calendar of programs that meet the educational and social needs of Section members with fewer than 10 years of experience in the field. These co-directors chair the Young & Emerging Planners Committee, maintain a working relationship with the Chapter Young & Emerging Planners Coordinator, and represent emerging planners’ interests and concerns before the Board.
Committee Volunteers (1-year term)
APA Los Angeles is also seeking volunteers for the following committees to serve at will for 2024. All interested members of APA will be invited to join the committee of their choice. A one-year commitment is requested.
- Awards Committee members assist the Vice Directors at Large (Awards) in coordinating the Section’s annual awards program and gala, held annually in June.
- Communications Committee members assist the Vice Director for Communications, Social Media Director, Marketing Director, and Web Director to coordinate Section media, engage in partnerships, and promote Section activities.
- Membership & Inclusion Committee members assist the Membership Director, Equity Director, Commissioner Representative, and University Liaison in influencing membership retention and expansion, and in developing affirmative programs to recruit and support a diverse membership.
- Programs & Professional Development Committee members assist the Vice Directors of Programs and Vice Directors of Professional Development in the planning and implementing of general programming, and developing workshops and training for members’ professional development.
- Young & Emerging Planners Committee members assist the Young & Emerging Planners Directors in the development of programs that meet the educational and social needs of Section members with fewer than ten years in the planning field.