Nominations Now Open for the 2023 Board of Directors
Join the APA Los Angeles Board of Directors or a Committee in 2023!
Nominations Due Sunday, November 6, 2022
Participating in APA Los Angeles as a member of our Board of Directors or its committees is a great way to get involved in the local planning community, network with other planning professionals, and give back to the profession. We have exciting plans for 2023 and hope you will consider contributing your time and talents to one of APA’s largest, most active sections nationwide!
The Los Angeles section of the American Planning Association is one of eight local sections of APA’s California Chapter, with more than 1,700 members in Los Angeles County. APA Los Angeles helps its members share knowledge, advance their careers, and guide change in both the profession and our communities.
There are three ways to get involved (see position descriptions below):
- Elected (executive) positions – two-year terms
- Appointed positions – one-year terms
- Committee members – one-year commitment requested
All Board and committee members are expected to:
- Attend one meeting per month – the Board meets on 3rd Wednesdays of odd months and committees meet in even months (dates subject to change)
- Spend additional time as needed to fulfill their duties, which vary by position
- Live or work in Los Angeles County
- Be APA members, or become members before their terms begin (free or discounted first-time, Chapter-only, and student memberships are available)
Be more engaged with your profession in 2023!
To nominate yourself for a Board position or volunteer for a committee, please fill out the Nomination Form. Candidates for elected or appointed positions should include a statement of interest not to exceed 500 words for elected positions and 250 words for appointed positions.
- 11/06: Deadline for Nominations
- 11/08-11/29: Online voting open
- 12/07: Board certification of election results
- 12/08-12/12 : Winning candidates and appointees notified
- 12/19 : 2023 Board announced!
Should you have any questions regarding the positions or the selection process, please contact Fern Nueno, Section Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For detailed duties of each position, please refer to our bylaws.
APA Los Angeles is seeking candidates for the following elected positions, to be selected by a vote among Section members and certified by the Board. Successful candidates will serve for two years beginning January 1, 2023 (four years for Section Director).
- The Section Director provides leadership for the Section by coordinating and directing the Board’s activities and programs. This position will serve as Section Director-Elect for 2023, take office as Section Director for 2024-2025, and serves as Immediate Past Director in 2026. The Section Director represents and promotes the Section to related organizations, and communicates between the California Chapter Board and the Section. The Section Director conducts Section Board meetings, oversees the budget, and chairs the Executive Committee.
- The Vice Director of Administration develops and maintains Section administrative records and operational systems. This Vice Director coordinates updates of the bylaws and guidelines as needed, and implements special projects assigned by the Section Director.
- The Vice Director At-Large (Awards), along with another Vice Director At-Large, directs the Section’s annual Awards Program and gala, coordinates award submittals for the California Chapter Awards, and chairs the Awards Committee. This Vice Director also assists with the development and implementation of special projects and activities of the Section Board.
- The Vice Director of Policy reviews local, state, and federal legislation, develops Section legislative responses, and presents policy items to the Board. The Vice Director maintains a strong working relationship with the Chapter Vice President for Policy and Legislation.
- The Vice Director of Professional Development, along with another Vice Director of Professional Development, develops seminars and symposia for members’ professional development. This Vice Director also coordinates training for members preparing to take the AICP exam and assists the Board with the administration of CM credits. Candidates must be members in good standing of AICP.
- The Vice Director of Programs, along with another Vice Director of Programs, is responsible for developing, recommending, and maintaining an annual calendar of general programs. This Vice Director makes and coordinates arrangements to carry out Section programs and events, and chairs the Programs & Professional Development Committee.
Appointed Positions (1-year terms)
APA Los Angeles is seeking nominations for the following appointed positions for the 2023 term. Each of these positions will be appointed by the Section Director, and will serve for one year beginning January 1, 2023.
- The Commissioner Representative develops affirmative programs to increase participation of planning commissioners in APA and their attendance at workshops, seminars and conferences. The position maintains a working relationship with the Chapter Commission & Board Representative. The Representative must be a member of a public board for a public agency in California when appointed.
- The Equity Director prioritizes, promotes, and recruits members to ensure inclusivity and diversity among the Section membership. This Director develops and implements diversity-oriented events and programs, and promotes topics, formats, and venues that diversify Section activities and content.
- The Marketing & Sponsorship Director administers a sponsorship and advertising program to recruit financial and in-kind support of Section activities. This Director continues relationships with existing sponsor organizations and identifies opportunities for further engagement.
- The Social Media Director promotes Section events and announcements on social media. This Director also shares general planning-related content on social media and develops social media campaigns highlighting aspects of Board activities and planning in Los Angeles.
- The University Liaison maintains relationships with planning schools and programs and their students, faculty, and Student Representatives. The University Liaison assists the Vice Director of Membership in obtaining student and faculty membership, representation, and involvement.
- The Web Director regularly updates the Section website with event information and announcements, and works with the Vice Director for Communications to populate the website with blog posts and feature articles. The Web Director ensures that information is available and up-to-date, and assists with marketing campaigns and other communications duties.
- The Young & Emerging Planners Co-Directors (two positions) recommend, develop, and promote an annual calendar of programs that meet the educational and social needs of Section members with less than 10 years of experience in the field. These co-directors chair the Young & Emerging Planners Committee, maintain a working relationship with the Chapter Young & Emerging Planners Coordinator, and represent emerging planners’ interests and concerns before the Board.
APA Los Angeles is also seeking volunteers for the following committees to serve at will for 2023. All interested members of APA will be invited to join the committee of their choice. A one-year commitment is requested.
- Awards Committee members assist the Vice Directors at Large (Awards) in coordinating the Section’s annual awards program and gala, held annually in June.
- Communications Committee members assist the Vice Director for Communications, Social Media Director, Marketing Director, and Web Director to coordinate Section media, engage in partnerships, and promote Section activities.
- Membership & Inclusion Committee members assist the Membership Director, Diversity and Inclusion Director, Commissioner Representative, and University Liaison in influencing membership retention and expansion, and in developing affirmative programs to recruit and support a diverse membership.
- Programs and Professional Development Committee members assist the Vice Directors of Programs and Vice Directors of Professional Development in the planning and implementing of general programming, and developing workshops and training for members’ professional development.
- Young & Emerging Planners Committee members assist the Young Planners Directors in the development of programs that meet the educational and social needs of Section members with less than ten years in the planning field.