Nomination Form Due October 26
Participating in APA Los Angeles’ volunteer Board of Directors is a great way to get involved in the local planning community, network with other planning professionals, and give back to the profession. We have exciting plans for 2016 and hope you will consider contributing your time and talents to one of APA’s largest, most active sections nationwide!
The Los Angeles section of the American Planning Association is one of eight local sections of APA’s California Chapter, with more than 1,300 members in Los Angeles County. APA Los Angeles helps its members share knowledge, advance their careers, and guide change in both the profession and our communities.
There are three ways to get involved (see position descriptions below):
- Elected positions (two-year terms)
- Appointed positions (one-year terms)
- Committee volunteers (one year commitment requested)
All Board members are expected to attend one meeting per month and spend additional time as needed to fulfill their duties, which vary by position. All positions may be asked to contribute to event planning efforts. Elected and appointed members are required to reside or work in Los Angeles County, and to be APA members or become members before their terms begin. A discounted Chapter-only membership is available.
To nominate yourself for a Board position, please fill out the Nomination Form and submit it along with a statement of interest not to exceed 300 words. The form and statement are due to email@example.com no later than 5 PM on Monday, October 26.
10/26 – Deadline for Nominations
11/2-11/23 – Online voting open
11/24-11/30 – Winning candidates and appointees notified
12/1 – 2016 Board announced
If you have any questions regarding the positions or the selection process, please contact Ashley Atkinson, Section Director Elect, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 213-505-1631.
- Vice Director At-Large (Awards) – One of two Vice Directors At-Large, this position directs the annual APA Los Angeles Awards program and gala event, and coordinates submissions for the APA California awards. After the awards gala in June, this position focuses on special initiatives and other events as needed.
- Vice Director of Professional Development – One of two Vice Directors of Professional Development, this director develops seminars and symposia for members’ professional development and promotes programs for Certification Maintenance (CM). This position also coordinates counseling and training for members preparing to take the AICP examination. Candidates must be members in good standing of AICP.
- Vice Director of Programs – One of two Vice Directors of Programs, this director is responsible for developing and implementing local programs that appeal to the needs and interests of APA Los Angeles members and address current issues in planning. In coordination with other Board members, this position oversees and schedules an annual calendar of programs. This position co-chairs the Programs Committee.
- Marketing Director – The Marketing Director prepares sponsorship materials and coordinates sponsorship and advertising requests. This position also identifies strategic opportunities to expand the reach of the organization and designs outreach campaigns.
- Membership Inclusion Director – The Membership Inclusion Director is responsible for programs and initiatives that encourage a diverse membership and support all who would like to participate in APA Los Angeles. This position also liaises with APA California to program a Diversity Summit at the annual State Conference.
- Planning Commissioner Representative – The Planning Commissioner Representative maintains connections with local planning commissions and develops programs and initiatives to educate commissioners and increase their participation in APA Los Angeles. Candidates must be members of a local planning or related commission.
- Public Information Officer – The Public Information Officer is the primary contact for media and general inquiries, and coordinates public relations for APA Los Angeles. This position is responsible for producing bi-weekly e-newsletters and other informational materials and chairs the Communications Committee.
- Section Historian & California Planning Foundation (CPF) Liaison — The Section Historian & CPF Liaison liaises with APA California’s historian program, collecting and publicizing archival materials reflecting the Section’s history. This position also liaises with the statewide California Planning Foundation (CPF) and coordinates local fundraising efforts for student scholarships.
- Social Media Director – The Social Media Director oversees content for APA Los Angeles’ social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. This director regularly posts APA and general planning news to social media and assists in the promotion of events and initiatives.
- University Liaison – The University Liaison maintains connections between APA Los Angeles and local planning education programs, including faculty, students, and Student Representatives to APA. This position coordinates student programs including but not limited to the annual Student Symposium and student mixers.
- Web Director – The Web Director is responsible for updating and maintaining APAlosangeles.org with the assistance of a contracted web site developer. This position solicits and develops event announcements, news items, blog posts and online initiatives.
- Young & Emerging Planning Professionals (YEPP) Director – One of two YEPP Directors, this director is responsible for producing events and coordinating resources and initiatives geared towards planners who have recently entered the profession.
- Communications Committee – Members of this committee assist the Board members in developing and implementing communications, outreach, sponsorship and marketing initiatives. This committee meets bi-monthly and is chaired by the Public Information Officer.
- Programs Committee – Members of this committee assist Board members in developing and implementing a range of programs that appeal to the needs and interests of APA Los Angeles members and address current issues in planning. This committee meets bi-monthly and is chaired by the Vice Directors of Programs.
Thank you for considering participation in APA Los Angeles!